If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Brake Pedal Extender

sign216

Brake Pedal Extender

Post by sign216 »

Are there any extensions to the brake pedal, to give it more area, esp. to the right?

My boots are too thick and blunt, making it hard to comfortably reach in to the brake pedal. I'm looking for an extension, adding 2" (50cm) to the right side.

Is there anything like this??

Joe

schrader7032

Re: Brake Pedal Extender

Post by schrader7032 »

There are things like that for the latest BMW Wetheads and GSA models, but don't think anything exists for the lowly /2. You could take two pieces of steel and create some kind of sandwich around the pedal...use some screws to hold it together.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

malmac

Post by malmac »

You could take the pedal off, apply heat and then redesign the alignment so the pad you press with your foot is positioned further to the right of its current position. It may be that the pedal has previously been bent to the left by a spill, so you may just be taking it back to where it was always meant to be.

Cheers

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

sign216

Post by sign216 »

Thanks Mal and Schrader,

I have thought about drilling and tapping the pedal for an added plate, perhaps it'll be a winter project.

I am loath to bend the pedal arm, as it's fairly rugged and won't go easily.

There are a number of universal pedal extenders. I may play w one of those.

Joe

therealkennyboy

Post by therealkennyboy »

It might be easier to just buy new boots?

I certainly have no problem fitting my feet, and I wear US size 11 (Tour Master) boots.
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

sign216

Post by sign216 »

Real Kenny,

You sound like the BMW factory, "our bike is perfect, the problem is your feet."

therealkennyboy

:lol:

The left, right, and rear pegs all have different part numbers. Are you sure you have the correct pegs in the correct location, i.e. left and right aren't switched, or front and rears? Do you have the pegs adjusted for max clearance?

The toe box of your boot hits the right jug, and makes hitting the brake pedal difficult, so you want another inch or two in the width as that is easier than fiddling your foot around on the peg while you're trying to stop a bike with not-modern brakes. I get the concern. Do you ride with your feet on the rear pegs, and it is the transition from rear to front peg that is tight when you need brakes, or do you ride with your right boot well out on the end of the peg and getting it in close is problematic? Or your boot simply doesn't fit in the intended space?

Buy another brake pedal, cut off the cross-hatch pad and weld it on the existing one.
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

sign216

Post by sign216 »

Ken,

I've owned this bike for almost 40 yrs, and recently took it out of storage. I've never messed w the pegs, but that's' not to say a prior owner hasn't. Part of the problem are my new boots, which have thick soles and boxy toes.

My first question (did the /2 series ever have a brake pedal extender) was answered w a No. Thank you to the community for that info.

Now I've got to build a solution of bending the brake pedal arm, adjusting the pegs, and welding/bolting a pedal extension. I'll play w some generic pedal extenders too. If anyone knows of a generic pedal extender that is particularly good, shout it out, please.

Thank you Schrader, Mal, and Ken.
Joe

therealkennyboy

Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA