If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1953 R25 Advise for the Long Ride

rockers

1953 R25 Advise for the Long Ride

Post by rockers »

I've had older BMWs in the past and decided to buy a R25 to participate in the 2022 Cross Country Chase- Route 66 in September. The ride will be about 2500 miles over 10 days or so.
https://themotorcyclechase.com/rider/bob-alexander/

I still have not picked the R25 up yet as Glenn at the Beemer Barn is checking it over. It has been previously upgraded by Barrington to a 12 volt system with electronic ignition. So to the Vintage guys familiar with singles, what spare parts would you carry along on a longer ride? Any suggestions would be appreciated and you can e-mail me at rockersbmw@gmail.com. I don't know why I'm asking this questions as the old ones are dependable. I rode a 1968 R60 to the Arctic Circle & back 40 years ago.

Thanks
Bob

schrader7032

Re: 1953 R25 Advise for the Long Ride

Post by schrader7032 »

I wish the old ones were dependable!! I can't trust my '52 R25/2 more than 10 miles from home. I think I'm on top of things, but I've had to be hauled home in a truck/trailer a couple of times. The issues seem to be with things not associated with the engine as Vech got my engine and did the bottom and top end. My issues seem to be mostly associated with peripheral things.

I think you'll need to be aware of things that are going to be hit hard by vibration. I suspect you'll have to go over the bike at the beginning/end of each day to ensure that things are still tight
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

I might take a spare motorcycle with a bigger engine. Good grief. 2500 miles on my R27 would have me begging for my R60/2 in 10 minutes.

Good luck!
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

cwf

Post by cwf »

Helpful eh? Don't take the risk, buy new etc. It's the modern way.

I don't have any specific, single-cylinder experience but I've travelled around Europe with a pre-war car (and family). There are still plenty of people who will help, if you're in obvious trouble. Do the obvious, grease, oil, check nuts and bolts - 2500 miles will expose weaknesses in ways local riding won't. Make sure you know how to remove the wheels and tyres to fix punctures, perhaps a spare rear tube. Make sure the fuel line is good, no fuel pipe, no progress. Take a tow line, 30 ft strong cord, you might be able to help someone else and vice versa.

Treat any problems as part of the trip. You might find your body is not what it was, 10 days in the saddle may expose weaknesses in you not the bike. Have a great time, it's what bikes are for.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

I tried 3 times to finish a 1,100 miles singles rally on my R26. Third one was the charm.
While obviously the R26 is modern compare to your R25, I did the trips with the 6 volt system.
I documented the trips in these two links:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10549
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8025&p=1857#p1857

If you have specific questions please send me a message.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

mcsherry1328

Post by mcsherry1328 »

The ride sounds great. Years ago when I bought a new BMW motorcycle. Loved it & still do. Still in my garage. After I bought this bike I discovered they also made a single. I thought the single looked wonderful. I started looking for an R27. Much more available today than years ago. Fifteen years later I ran across a beautiful R27, all original with low miles & looking perfect. I bought it and rode it some near my home. Soon I realized that I didn’t like riding it at all. It felt like riding an R50 with a plug wire off. 45 mph was the best & most comfortable cruising speed. It would go faster, but you paid for it in vibration & engine noise from higher rpm’s. Dependability was never an issue because I rarely road it and a few years later I sold it. Now going distance on an antique BMW single regardless of dependability is not something I would do, or recommend. Riders ride a variety of different & unusual bikes. That’s what makes us all unique, especially regarding vintage. If you already have this bike & are going to do this 2500 mile ride on an R25 then I would do that regardless of what anyone says. 12 volt upgrade is great along with led lights. Other than a very thorough preparation on engine, gearbox, wheels & electrics. I would of course bring along basic spare parts that you would anticipate potential failing. I wanted to be supportive in my reply not critical. Just sharing my own single experience. All the best with your adventure, please keep us posted. Michael

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

Bob how was the Cross Country Chase?

Let us know.

Arturo
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD