If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/2 front crankshaft spacer between bearing and slinger

huntmiller

/2 front crankshaft spacer between bearing and slinger

Post by huntmiller »

Has anyone found it necessary to change source or fabricate a crankshaft spacer to better center the crankshaft in the engine case? Barrington discusses it. My front slinger has a .5mm clearance with the bearing carrier which seems close but satisfactory. The back slinger has about 1.5mm everything else appears perfect. According to Barrington I should consider replacing my front spacer with one that is thicker to better center the crank. The back bearing of course floats. I'm wondering if anyone else has considered this. There don't appear to be different sizes of spacer listed from BMW. The rods are very close to being centered. Barrington suggests measuring the front spacer mine is 3.5mm but I don't recall them suggesting to measure the back spacer. Thinking out loud I wonder if i tighten the rear main bearing aligner will reduce the rear slinger gap. It was tight but maybe slipped a bit when pulling the crank forward. Thoughts?

Benchmarkworks: 11 21 0 016 212--$10.95--spacer crankshaft front & rear R51/2-R67/3 R50 R60
Hunt
1965 R69s w/Wixom fairings and bags
1979 R65 w/Siebenrock 860cc, Luftmeister fairing