If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Another thread about installing the crankshaft into the crankcase

malmac

Another thread about installing the crankshaft into the crankcase

Post by malmac »

Hi Guys

Well I am about to put one of my crankshafts into it's crankcase.
Yes I have the Barrington book and yes I have read this section several times.
Great book, no complaints.

I am at what I would call step two.
Crankshaft in the freezer
Camshaft assembly in the freezer
Bench tidy and clean, with all the parts in order and the tools and consumables at hand.
MAL_1622.jpg
The last part of step two for me is getting myself psyched up and rehearsed prior to
throwing the crankcase in the oven and monitoring temperatures.

A couple of small things I have done this time for the first time.
1. I modified my benchtop engine stand, so I can take it out of the oven (with gloves of course) and
it slots in to the stand with the minimum of fiddling. Also it allows the hot plate to be in place and preheated awaiting the crankcase.

2. I have made some small adjustments to how I secure the oil pump gears and stop them, in the HEAT of the moment getting out of kilter.
I made a little spacer for the drive gear.... nothing new, must have been done 1,000 times before.
I also tapped a 4mm thread into the end of the driven gear, so I can use a small washer to stop it drifting forward as I fiddle with fitting the front bearing carrier.
MAL_1619.jpg
Tapping the thread.
MAL_1621.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Daves79x

Re: Another thread about installing the crankshaft into the crankcase

Post by Daves79x »

Is this an R69S? Are you using the barrel rear main bearing? Did you make a rear bearing installation guide tool? I had to heat my last one to 325 F to get the rear bearing to fall into the carrier. Don't spare the heat.

Dave
Dave

malmac

Post by malmac »

Daves79x wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:23 am
Is this an R69S? Are you using the barrel rear main bearing? Did you make a rear bearing installation guide tool? I had to heat my last one to 325 F to get the rear bearing to fall into the carrier. Don't spare the heat.

Dave
Yes this is an R69s engine.
Yes I have made a bearing alignment tool. You can see it in the top photo.
Next to the tool I use to pull the crankshaft forward into the front bearing.

325F, now that is getting very hot. Last time I had no problems at 275F but each time one has to be on one's toes so to speak.
Thanks for the feedback.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

Well crankcase empty this morning.
MAL_1623.jpg
Filled up with a bit of stuff now.
MAL_1628.jpg
Tomorrow, flywheel and clutch.

The most difficult thing today was installing the timing gear onto the front of crank.
300F and a bit of a trim on the woodruff key and 2nd time it went on real smooth.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Good writeup Mal. Putting the crank in has never been a problem as long as you follow the Barrington book. I very rarely have issues ensuring that the oil pump gears stay in place, but on the odd chance I do (it happened once) I simply put a square rare earth magnet on the front of the driven gear with the side of it on the other gear shaft. This held them in jsut fine during installation of the front bearing carrier.

Hope this helps anyone doing this.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

malmac

Post by malmac »

jwonder wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:11 pm
Good writeup Mal. Putting the crank in has never been a problem as long as you follow the Barrington book. I very rarely have issues ensuring that the oil pump gears stay in place, but on the odd chance I do (it happened once) I simply put a square rare earth magnet on the front of the driven gear with the side of it on the other gear shaft. This held them in jsut fine during installation of the front bearing carrier.

Hope this helps anyone doing this.
James

The reason I avoided the magnet approach, was because I wanted to avoid the possibility of the transfer of magnetism to the gear. In which case it would attract abrasive steel particles. I know it is of low probability, but this way, I now avoid the possibility totally. Just me being super anal. I am taking medication for my affliction, but the shrink says it is incurable.

Stay healthy

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

A couple of thoughts.

When assembling the ^(s with the barrel roller, one fits an alignment tool to the rear of the crank to assist with a clean insertion of the bearing into the rear bearing carrier.

Barrington says to remove the alignment tool before pulling the crank forward into the front bearing carrier.
I followed these instructions this time and when I tested the rotation after pulling the crank forward, I found that the outer race had lagged and I had to tap it forward.

I measured up a barrel bearing and I note that the inner race and outer race are the same width. Therefore why not leave the alignment tool attached until after one pulls the crank forward, there by avoiding the lagging outrace issue?
MAL_1629.jpg
The second discussion point regards installing the rear crankshaft seal. I have made a tool so I can not only pull the seal into place using a bolt in the rear of the crank but also machined it so it leaves the seal 1mm proud as stated in the BMW workshop manual. Not sure if anyone can see a potential problem with this approach.
MAL_1632.jpg
The last point is just sharing a set up tool for measuring the flywheel run-out when torquing down the flywheel. The approach in Barrington is excellent and I have used it before with excellent results. This set up just avoids the magnet dial gauge stand, which I often find can be a finicky to use.
MAL_1634.jpg
Well that is progress so far.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Totally agree with leaving the rear bearing guide tool in place while pulling the crank forward. Insures that the entire bearing comes forward with the crank.

Dave
Dave

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

I leave the tool on with the barrel or ball bearings. After I install the front bearing and "pull the crank forward", sometimes it will have a small about of resistance when spinning, I take a plastic mallet and give a good whack to the flywheel end of the crank and it "loosens" up and spins effortlessly. Not scientific ,but it works for me.
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

malmac

Post by malmac »

I used the Barringtom method of installing the flywheel, which seems to work very well.
Runout came in at .002" - yes it would have been nice to have nailed .001" but maybe next time.

Clutch is on as per pic. I rotate the engine in my stand just so the clutch components sit happily as I get things into place.
I bought myself a better square shanked screw driver for doing this job. Nice to have good tools when it is affordable.
MAL_1641.jpg
Have fitted the left cylinder. So things are progressing. I try to only put in so many hours in the shed each day so I have time to pursue other interests as well.
MAL_1643.jpg
Cheers

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia