If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Gear box cover removal

sclafani

Gear box cover removal

Post by sclafani »

KIMG0957.JPG
I'm about to take off my gear box cover to inspect the kick start gears. I want to make sure the gears aren't buttered up. I felt a little binding when all was together.
Is there anything I should be aware off when removing? any info will be appreciated. I wasn't sure what to do with the gear box flange. Does that need to be removed in order to take cover off?

schrader7032

Re: Gear box cover removal

Post by schrader7032 »

As far as I know, you will need a mo-fo breaker bar and special tool to get the final flange off. Pretty sure that that has to be removed to get the rear cover off. You probably will need to remeasure the gearbox and shim as needed. You're disturbing how it sits together...I think it needs to be verified before putting it together.

This is just what I remember...others may have a different experience.

You might look over Boxer2Valve's video on what he does to an Airhead transmission; not the same but the concept is.

https://www.boxer2valve.com/1981-on-mec ... arbox.html
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Yes-
The output flange must be removed to then remove the gearbox cover.
Do yourself a favor; slow down, buy the Barrington book, and give it a good read.
Best-
George

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Agree 100% with George. Slow down and take a deep breath.

I would ask why you think the kick starter gears are bad? Did the kickstarter get stuck when kicking? Did it stay down? Does it skip or miss when you are kicking?

The nut for the output flange is tough to get off and needs a special tool. Get the Barrington book, it is worth the money by far as if you screw up one thing it will easily be the cost of the book.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

sclafani

Post by sclafani »

This bike has been sitting in a barn for 40 years. While I have it stripped down I just wanted to go through everything to assure all is well. I also was thinking of replacing the clutch thrust piece. The lever was froze up and I had to cut that off in order to replace the pin.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Really, pay heed to the guys' recommendation. Buy the book, study what needs done, then decide if you want to invest a lot in special tools, or send it out to someone to evaluate. If this is a one-time thing, you are better off farming this stuff out.

Dave
Dave

sclafani

Post by sclafani »

Roger that...I agree...I think that may be the way to go. I'm currently trying to find someone in my area that works in vintage BMWs. Not easy. I do need to farm some stuff out...like having the oil slinger looked at. I live in Hobe Sound Florida. little bit of a challenge.

Thank you for the feed back

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

What do you know about AFI Cycles BMW in Jupiter?
Kurt in S.A.

sclafani

Post by sclafani »

Yes...I have been down to speak to Joe. He's a very nice guy and seems very knowledgeable. But...he's the only guy and, I don't know anyone who has worked with him. I've had Harleys my whole life and always had 2 or 3 mechanics I would go to for different things. I do plan on having him inspect and assure the slinger is working properly. I just would like a few options especially if he's has a large backlog. He's the only one in the shop.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

What about places across the state, on the Gulf coast. Rocket Cycles in Bonita Springs has a BMW certified mechanic. Might give him a call and see what he can do or maybe have some suggestions.
Kurt in S.A.