If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Clutch release lever

sclafani

Clutch release lever

Post by sclafani »

I'm trying to take the clutch release lever off my transmission and I'm having difficulty with removing the pin. I've taken the cotter pin out and tried knocking it out but it's not budging. Is there something I'm missing??
Attachments
KIMG0949.JPG

schrader7032

Re: Clutch release lever

Post by schrader7032 »

Should only be the cotter pin. Sometime after the /5s came along, they ended up using a c-clip that was difficult to see and/or put in. It fit on the inside of the ears and clipped into a slot on the rod that went through the ears.

Do you see any movement out of the rod? Can you get some needle nose pliers on that one end and see if it will rotate any? Maybe it needs some penetrant. Could also be that the ears on the transmission have deformed and it's preventing movement.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Should only be one pin
yes try some penetrating oil
also you can heat the aluminum housing as it will expand more than the steel pin and should come out easy but dont punch it to hard not to break the 2 ears holding the steel pin
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

sclafani

Post by sclafani »

Thank you all for the feed back! I have been soaking it down with WD. I will check out that the ears to verify they are not bent and, also ....I will try heating it up.

Thx again happy holidays

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

"WD" as in WD-40 is not really that good of a penetrant. It's a water dispersal solution. Try some PB Blaster or AeroKroil. Other better penetrants out there than WD-40.
Kurt in S.A.

sclafani

Post by sclafani »

wow...your the third person who suggested Kroil, will be picking that up today.Also..another suggestion I received was to use a slide hammer.
Thank you all! ....great info much needed

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Not sure how you would attach a slide hammer...seems kind of violent. But I would think that penetrant, time, and some heat would free it up. If you had to escalate to some tapping with a punch, that might be needed. Something must be burred on an end or the internal corrosion is keeping if from coming apart.
Kurt in S.A.

cwf

Post by cwf »

But beware those alloy 'ears', they can break. Try and get the steel pin to twist before sliding sideways (out). If it turns in the alloy but not in the operating arm, it might be easier to saw the pin and work on the arm away from the case. The case is the most difficult and expensive part to damage.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

sclafani

Gear box cover removal

Post by sclafani »

I'm about to take off my gear box cover to inspect the kick start gears. I want to make sure the gears aren't buttered up. I felt a little binding when all was together.
Is there anything I should be aware off when removing? any info will be appreciated. I wasn't sure what to do with the gear box flange. Does that need to be removed in order to take cover off?

jimcarrr100rs

Post by jimcarrr100rs »

If you are going to be working on your bike to this depth get the Barrington book it will be the best investment you make as well as the special tools you will be needing to work on these bikes.
77 & 83 R100RS, 56 R69, 74 R90/6