If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New Member Intro

SawyersBMW

New Member Intro

Post by SawyersBMW »

Hi all, I recently bought a 1966 R60/2 with a Steib Sidecar. Not new to old bikes but this is my first BMW. It appears the bike is original paint in very nice condition for a 37,000 mile bike. Some hardware, the second saddle, horn, oil pan and updated electrics are so far the items I know are not original to the bike.

The bike starts well and runs with no issues is really a solid reliable running machine so far. The motor had been gone thru about 6 years ago. With that the slingers cleaned with some internals and cylinders/heads done as well.

The sidecar is not original to the bike unless it was stored poorly and reattached at some point. I really do not know much about Steib Sidecars. Bad rattle can paint job and a bit of beat up trim but it is all there original in its own skin and no corrosion.

How can I find out any info about the SC? It has a rectangle Data Plate and possibly 2510 stamped into the frame next to it.

I know I will have lots of questions and will do the search engine often but sometime will probably need a bit of coaching.

Sawyer
Attachments
Steib Data Plate.JPG
BMW Pic 1.JPG
1966 R60/2 with Steib Sidecar
1954 Harley Davidson KH Since 1995

schrader7032

Re: New Memeber Intro

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum, Sawyer! As a start for searching, use the search box in the upper right and type in Steib S501. I found quite a few other discussions. Also, click on Knowledge Base, then Library. In the left hand search box, pull down the arrow and click on Steib. You'll find a number of items that are stored here on the Vintage website.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

xackley

Re: New Memeber Intro

Post by xackley »

All you need is to add a dog and to drive it. Looks like a car tire profile on that front wheel.
Valvoline VR1 30w for Carolina winter, 40w for summer and it will start easily and run forever.
1958 R69, 1972 R75/5, 1980 XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 guzzi ev, 2017 guzzi V7!!!
All on the road, going no where in particular in the Finger Lakes of New York

Flx48

Re: New Member Intro

Post by Flx48 »

Nice looking rig, Sawyer-
Already has s/c tires, exhaust cooling fins, deep oil pan; what else?
Have you worked out the rearend ratio, and whether the trans is solo or sidecar?
And, is that s/c brake functioning?
The 501 is a nice chair, congratulations and enjoy.
Best-
George

SawyersBMW

Re: New Member Intro

Post by SawyersBMW »

Thanks for getting back to me. I read here a lot about oils, I have a left over case of VR1 20/50 from this past summer and seems like it should be good to go.

The s/c does have juice brakes but not hooked up to anything, just run along the s/c frame rail open ended. So I need to learn more on this and need to overhaul the system if I decide to use them. Nothing is on the bike to activate them as well.

The tranny does have S stamped on it but I'll need to actually visually verify if it is still Solo or changed to s/c gearing. I have been running it around our local 45 mph roads only one upgrade where I think of dropping to third but it does pull it along ok.

I'm new to the R60/2 so it is still a learning curve as far as RPMs and power curves. Seems like the bike is running at some higher revs at the 40-50 mph area and I don't know how far to push it yet but this speed is good for the immediate area I ride.

Sawyer
1966 R60/2 with Steib Sidecar
1954 Harley Davidson KH Since 1995