If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Cracked head

FL54

Cracked head

Post by FL54 »

I posted this earlier but the thread went sideways with the closing of Benchmark and I didn’t get a response. In pulling the heads and cylinders to replace pushrod seals, I found the left head cracked. My Indy says he can weld it but can’t guarantee the result because of what potential problems may occur because of the heat from the welding.
Has anyone had success in doing a similar repair or should I look for a replacement head?
Secondly, it appears from the part numbers that the R50/2 and R60/2 use the same head.
Is this correct as it would broaden the search results?
Thanks in advance.
4261965D-C0E3-4A91-9E38-A79A66CD97DB.jpeg
Central Oregon

CWRoady

Re: Cracked head

Post by CWRoady »

Randy Long
 repaired mine. You might touch base with him @ 610-286-5870
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

HI, , on one of my old BMW "s I had a crack the same as yours but at the time I did not know....I drove the bike maybe 5,000 miles before I had to take the head off for valve guide replacement and it was then that I saw the crack ...around that same time by coincidence I met up with the previous owner, I mentioned this crack and he told me it was like that with him! So I guess for me I was lucky that nothing happened but it would have been nice to have known .

Martyb

Post by Martyb »

Have you seen this article? https://w6rec.com/heads-and-butterheads/

FL54

Post by FL54 »

First thanks to all for replies. I had seen the Duane Ausherman article some years back but forgot that he mentioned cracked heads. I just remembered the butterheads. I’m still trying to source a left head for an R50/2 or an R60/2. The ones on eBay all have some issues and new ones are around $800. If anyone has one in their stash that they would be willing to part with please PM me. Thanks.
Central Oregon