If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Brake pads

sclafani

Brake pads

Post by sclafani »

Have to replace brakes pads on my R50. Do I need to re-rivet the linings or can I get shoes and the linings already together? Which is the best way to go? I see both on the net...but my experence with vintage bikes.....parts don't always fit.

jwonder

Re: Brake pads

Post by jwonder »

Salis has them, Ulis has them and you can send the shoes to many companies to get relined. Reclining with the copper pop rivets is very easy. I would suggest doing it yourself.

Try vintagebrake.com as well. 209-533-4346
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

sclafani

Post by sclafani »

Thank you for the reply...I think I will do it myself....have a great holiday.

FL54

Post by FL54 »

I just got finished relining the front shoes on my R50. It was the last order I received from Benchmark. They send you enough lining to do 2 shoes, copper pop rivets and instructions. I’m not a big fan of pop rivets but I fashioned an anvil to finish them off. Not a difficult job and the new linings made quite a difference. Max’s BMW picked up all of Vech’s parts so you should contact them.
Central Oregon

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

I had Scottie Sharpe https://blog.scottiesharpe.com/ reline my front brakes and turn them to match the drum. After determining that the drum was true I sent the whole back plate assembly along with the drum measurement to him. He relined the shoes with modern material, reassembled the plate and turned the the shoes so there is maximum contact. The whole thing came back assembled and ready to go.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5