If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Thank You Vech & Richard

CWRoady

Thank You Vech & Richard

Post by CWRoady »

Figured this news deserved its own thread. If anyone earned a great retirement I think it is these fine gentlemen. I am a rookie in the Vintage bike world and I owe both of them big time for their patience, generosity of knowledge and parts availability when my local BMW dealership would tell me it would take weeks.

I assume if they were such a great resource for me with my couple of years on bikes older than /5's, there must be an amazing number of you that would sing their praise. Here's just one example: When I purchased my '55, the rear brakes were toast. A quick check showed them covered with dust turned to sludge from a Final Drive leak. As part of my rebuild, I took the Final Drive to my afore mentioned BMW shop for a rebuild. After 3 (or was it 4?) separate attempts to repair the leaking FD the dealership threw their hands in the air, gave me my money back and said "obviously we cant fix it." Richard to the rescue with an over the phone diagnosis that was spot on, admonishment to "do it yourself" and an extremely detailed explanation of how to make the repair, parts list provided and shipped immediately (including the Speedi-Sleeve that solved the problem). Problem solved, frustration of repeated disassembly, duplicated work, brake pad replacements ... FD fixed (other than the non-vented issue, but that is another story :- ).

I am happy for these gentlemen .. selfishly concerned about finding that level of customer support anywhere else on the planet .. but sincerely wishing both of them all the best in their next chapter!
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

schrader7032

Re: Thank You Vech & Richard

Post by schrader7032 »

Nice idea on the separate thread. Here's a link to what Vech had to say earlier today:

viewtopic.php?p=79206#p79206
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

FL54

Post by FL54 »

Well said CW. I’m sure we all have similar stories of how Vech and Richard have generously walked us through issues. They will be sorely missed.
Central Oregon

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Hopefully Vech...and maybe Richard...could grace the magazine with some tech articles in the future...once the dust settles!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

caker

Post by caker »

Well said, Chris. I read the news while drinking my morning coffee from my Bench Mark Works coffee mug, and share similar experiences and sentiments towards them.

-Chris

sickels

Post by sickels »

Same sentiment here. They both have talked me through many issues over the years. I was always happy to buy parts from them. Glad they are taking time for themselves.

sorbo1

Post by sorbo1 »

I would like to add my thanks to these 2 gentlemen . I am in Australia so haven't spoken to either gentlemen . However have been buying parts from Vech for many years when I restored my 1961 R69S . The parts were always available and were despatched quickly . Have only dealt with Max BMW once so hoping that there is not a big change in prices and service in the future .Enjoy your retirement I am .

Kid_again

Post by Kid_again »

I joined up just to add my thoughts about Richard and Vech.

Richard had the great misfortune to answer most of my questions but I also dealt with Vech a few times. As noted by SO many members, these guys had no hesitancy giving advice and hanging in there until somebody like me could figure it out. Not long ago, I gave up restoring midyear Vettes and had just awful experiences with most alleged experts (except Volunteer Vette). Didn't matter how good of a customer, they were the midyear equivalent of the Soup Nazi.

Over the last four years or so, I've restored/rebuilt/corrected three /2s, first a 1966 R69S, a Steib S500 side car-R75/5 engine-/2 frame (1965) and I'm finishing up a basket-case 1966 R50 I've just about finished as an R50S clone. My father co-owned a shop that sold these in the late 60s and I've always loved these beasts.

I've thrown all sorts of bizarre questions at Bench Mark Works, from aligning side car bike wheels, rebuilding constant velocity carbs, the finer points of 26mm BING slide rods as well as properly setting up rear drive gear sets. Both Richard and Vech have authoritative, encyclopedic knowledge and if their advice didn't seem to work, it WAS my fault.

From one Tennessee Squire to another, Vech, enjoy the next chapter of your life. Richard, the same to you and make sure to keep enough of that "brown water" around.

BTW, the vanity plate for my R50S will be "LAST ONE". I'm done. Good timing all around.

JoeS

OK, one more war story. Before I bought the side car bike, I devoured Vech's article on wheel alignment and the "wobble of death". THANK GOD I did so. As I first drove the bike VERY slowly down my driveway, the front wheel locked over and I damn near flipped the bike. The speedo needle had not even moved off the pin. :shock: DAMN!!!!
Last edited by Kid_again on Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FL54

Post by FL54 »

Great stories.
Central Oregon

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

I think an appreciation and retrospective on Benchmark Works in the VBMWMO magazine is in order. Who is close enough to the operation, with detailed knowledge of the history, to write such an article?
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California