If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Petrol Tank Internal Coats questions - Paint & Sealer

Micha

Petrol Tank Internal Coats questions - Paint & Sealer

Post by Micha »

Can you please recommend me an internal paint for the fuel tank? One designed to be put on bare metal.
Also, which sealant is recommended to apply on this paint afterwards?

The incident that happened to me is as follow: I bought a red internal paint from Mark Huggett and applied it carefully, having already Experience with the stuff as I done it in the past on an other bike with great success. I'm not sure why but that paint is crumbling now inside the tank, not at some points, but generally superficial everywhere. The whole internal surface is flaking this coat away. As far as I know, there is still no ethanol blend in the fuel here in Israel, never the less I assume that this coat should be ethanol-resistant.

Also would like to hear what sealer is recommended after applying the paint.

As I am facing some leaking issues with the original tank I have, I would like to prepare myself for further treatment.

Thank you.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

schrader7032

Re: Petrol Tank Internal Coats questions - Paint & Sealer

Post by schrader7032 »

I wasn't aware of a paint application over a sealer. Usually one would etch and/or clean the inside of the tank and then apply a sealer. I've heard of POR-15 as well as one supplied by Caswell Plating.

Snowbum discusses gas tank cleaning and sealing on this page:

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/fuelmiscl.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Micha

Post by Micha »

Thanks Kurt, sorry, maybe I did not explain myself correctly.
I am interested in understanding what I should do after repairing my tank or alternatively purchasing a replica tank.
Both will have exposed metal inside and I wanted to hear what people are doing against future rust.
In the case of a new tank, I always thought that only paint would suffice (and here the question is - which one?).
In the case of a tank that has undergone repairs / soldering / patching - the use of sealing is also relevant, and then the question is what to apply first?
In the link you have generously attached, there is only an application of phosphoric acid once a year, and nothing else.
This is what surprises me.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Michael -

I guess I'm the one that doesn't understand! I think that either situation you mention the solution is the same. You must first get the interior of the tank rust free by using some sort of method to etch or kill the rust...plus getting rid of any left over debris. The final step then is to coat the inside of the tank with a sealer. The sealer keeps oxygen away from the metal so it doesn't rust anymore. Most sealers I've seen are clear or white in color. BMW used some kind of red tinted material to seal the tank. I've heard of something called Red Kote which might be something similar.
Kurt in S.A.

Micha

Post by Micha »

Kurt, another question: Do you happen to know if phosphoric acid will attack non ferrous metal?
Such as tin, bronze, etc.?
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Micha -

No I don't. You would probably need to start with Mr. Google and see what you can find.
Kurt in S.A.