If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Petrol Tank that are made in India ?

San Arthur

Re: Petrol Tank that are made in India ?

Post by San Arthur »

Slash2 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:54 pm
Did anyone really think repops made in India for peanuts were going to be OE quality replacements? This mystifies me.

“a fool and his money are soon parted”
Obviously not and I can assure you that forum members that purchase Indian repops are Not fools. If nothing else I admire and respect all of you for their posts, comments and suggestion.

You don't know what circumstances made us take that chance. Time constrains, unobtanium or experimentation. Even OE part manufacturers sell unqualified replacements.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

xackley

Post by xackley »

Well mine arrived.
Measurements look good for bolting up when sitting on the table and comparing to the original.
The brackets for the kneepads stand out a little far from the tank, which will need adjusting when Bench Mark Works sends me my last order.

Paint and finishing I would give them a C
I can see a couple of spots they should have done a little more prep work.

The white lines are too fat and I would guess decals under a clear coat.

Well packaged to prevent damage, BUT they put the tank in a plastic bag, which appears to have reacted to some of the paint. Hopefully it will easily buff out.
I could smell chemicals when I opened the box, but I think it is the liner still curing. Those fumes might have been part of the problem with the clear coat.

No matter, if it holds gas, it is a whole lot better than my rusted out 6.5

From 5 foot it looks good.

I was thinking of filling it with soupy water to test and clean. Is there a better easy method.

AND if anyone has a couple of emblems that are not quite perfect, I could use them.

Don
1958 R69, 1972 R75/5, 1980 XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 guzzi ev, 2017 guzzi V7!!!
All on the road, going no where in particular in the Finger Lakes of New York

Micha

Post by Micha »

Good morning Don,
Who was the supplier? I understand that he speaks german but is located in India? :?
I'm still struggling with this issue, can't get my mind up.

Yes, I would do the same: Liquid dish soap and water for cleaning and see if it is tight. Put it on a dry paper or cardboard, it will help to spot a leak immediately.

Edit: how is the brazed petcock outlet? Does the fuel cock fit on it directly? Or did you have to thread-file it?

Thanks.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

xackley

Post by xackley »

Micha, too much paint on the fixtures to judge the threads, and I will have to drain my small tank to test as I have only 1 working petcock.

Edit: remembered the petcocks on my toaster tank. It screwed on with no problem.
Edit2: seems to be no leaks in the soap and water test

Here are some shots. The camera flash on the side view really brought out the weirdness in the paint.
1AAA_0870.jpg
1AAA_0872.jpg
1AAA_0873.jpg
1AAA_0871.jpg

motorradfanatiker

Post by motorradfanatiker »

While your checking for leaks with water, check the capacity, total while filling it up, then main and reserve while draining. You can adjust the main/reserve if you are not happy with it. This is much easier now than after you start using gas in it.
Jerry Hale
San Ramon, CA
R69S, R90S

xackley

Post by xackley »

I still have to buy some hardware to bolt it on, but so far I am glad I gambled my $473.

To get it on I had to grind down the front mounts as they hit the tube frame and would not line up the bolt holes.

Back by the seat I had to use my rubber hammer to adjust the tunnel so it didn't rub the frame. It appears that the tank was dropped before packing which caused the tunnel wall to balloon out a little and the ridge at the back of the tank was bent out a little.
Tonight it is sitting in position with a couple of gallons of water to make sure I didn't damage the seam.

Over all I like it. Not a direct plug and play, in fact I have spent a few hours getting the tool box bolt to line up nicely and get the tank to fall into position. The 6.5 just looks so right and feels so right with your thighs actually snug up to the knee pads
That roundel is being held on by some butyl putty so I can pop it off if I ever get the real thing.

Couple of pictures, I didn't have much room to back away.
Small tank
1AAA_0878.jpg

New tank with great lines from the tank to seat. I have ridden the small tank for 10 years and had almost forgotten how much better the motorcycle is with a sports tank.
1AAA_0882.jpg