If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R69S battery

schrader7032

Re: R69S battery

Post by schrader7032 »

I know this is about the R69S and twins, but I eventually had to switch to the male terminal style battery you offered on my R69S. I continued to get "fuzz" growing on my terminals, so I switch to the sealed battery. I put together a connection between the blade terminals and the ring terminals on the wiring harness.

As for the singles, I continued to have problems with acid coming up out of the vent holes on my R25/2. I checked the charging system with an analog meter as you suggested and everything checked out. I even tried taking those red pipette tubes you see on WD-40 cans and cut them to fit into the breather holes on the cap...hoping that with the farther distance for the acid to travel, that would limit it. But because of the vibrations on the single cylinder bikes, I could never get it to stop.

You didn't recommend going to the sealed batteries because they were not sufficiently hardened internally to take the abuse the singles give. I eventually went with a Duracell 6V 5aH battery and installed that over 5 years ago. Of course it doesn't fit the battery tray, but I've lashed it in place with some zip ties...it was supposed to be temporary, but I guess it's looking like it's more permanent! :) I also used some neoprene underneath and behind the battery to give it some cushioning. I built some quick disconnects between the blade terminals on the battery and the bike's wiring harness. No more battery acid and the battery seems to be happy.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.