If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Have any of you seen anything like this before?

smcd

Have any of you seen anything like this before?

Post by smcd »

A friend gave this to me. It's a dipstick oil cooler. He had it in an R75 he used to own. The only information I can find on it is that it was (supposedly) made by a company called Redwing, and it fits the R60 and R75 models. It certainly fits an old R75 engine I have in the shop. I can find no information about this online, but I'll bet some of you guys know something!
dipstickA.jpg
dipstickB.jpg
dipstickC.jpg

schrader7032

Re: Have any of you seen anything like this before?

Post by schrader7032 »

Have never heard/seen that before. Seems to me that the surface area involved is pretty small to get any great oil cooling. Only about 1-2 inches of the bottom is dipped in the oil. The oil would have a high heat transfer, but the rest of the rod is in air and likely wouldn't transfer much heat. I guess there is oil splash that has to get up to the holes that drain down to the valves...so maybe some of that oil gets cooled and drains back. Clearly it didn't catch on!!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

sherman980

Post by sherman980 »

If memory serves - and that's not a given these days :) that unit uses a thermosiphon mechanism to cool the oil. Basically, there's a liquid (low boiling point?) in the tube that gets heated to boiling at the end submersed in the oil pan. The hot gas rises to the top and gets cooled by the end with the fins in the breeze. No clue how well they worked, but they were available new for quite a few years a some decades ago. Given it's age, curious if there is any liquid left inside it.

Hope that helps,
Chuck S.
Thanks.
Chuck S

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

If you google "red wing oil cooler" you can actually see what appears to be new items, at least NOS. Here's one for a Harley:

https://picclick.com/NOS-Red-Wing-Isocy ... 87830.html
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

smcd

Post by smcd »

Thank you, gentlemen, for your responses. Using the info you provided, I was able to find out exactly what this is.
red wing advert.jpg
red wing isocycle.jpg