If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

How much of the restoration will you do or did

malmac

How much of the restoration will you do or did

Post by malmac »

It seems inevitable, that when you ride your rather nicely restored bike to a rally or such, the first question will be, did you restore it yourself?
I recently had cause to consider how I would answer that question.

Well how much does one have to do, to answer, "Yep pretty much brought her back to life."

Or conversely, "Well I did what I could but had get to Joe Blogs to do the paint job (or what ever)."

Here is a little self assessment sheet.
No right answers and I am sure I have left out some processes.
I would be interested in hearing what other think on this matter.

Mal
restoration.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

San Arthur

Re: How much of the restoration will you do or did

Post by San Arthur »

@malmac Easy as pie!

It would be inaccurate to say I did almost all, because during the process I had lots of help from this Forum, professionals and friends.
Welding and paint are the areas I needed more help.

Somethings I do for my restorations are:
Take lots and lots of pictures of each and every part, bolt and nut before you uninstall it from the motorcycle.
Take pictures while you uninstall each part from your motorcycle.
Clean, separate and tag each part. Use zip bags or clear boxes. I used my parts diagram as a guide to store each part by group. Take more pictures
Check the frame, fender and metal parts for fatigue fractures and repair all. After you apply primer and before you apply the first coat of paint, check again for fractures and repair.
I'm always moving parts between my garage, the museums shop, Jims paint booth and Garys welding, and every time I move a part or take bolts to cadmium plating, or the engine shop, etc. I take pictures to remind me what and where parts are located.
Get a Barrington

Pictures can be easily store and with smart phones you always have a camera nearby.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

malmac

Post by malmac »

San Arthur wrote:
Wed Sep 08, 2021 10:25 pm
@malmac Easy as pie!

It would be inaccurate to say I did almost all, because during the process I had lots of help from this Forum, professionals and friends.
Welding and paint are the areas I needed more help.

Somethings I do for my restorations are:
Take lots and lots of pictures of each and every part, bolt and nut before you uninstall it from the motorcycle.
Take pictures while you uninstall each part from your motorcycle.
Clean, separate and tag each part. Use zip bags or clear boxes. I used my parts diagram as a guide to store each part by group. Take more pictures
Check the frame, fender and metal parts for fatigue fractures and repair all. After you apply primer and before you apply the first coat of paint, check again for fractures and repair.
I'm always moving parts between my garage, the museums shop, Jims paint booth and Garys welding, and every time I move a part or take bolts to cadmium plating, or the engine shop, etc. I take pictures to remind me what and where parts are located.
Get a Barrington

Pictures can be easily store and with smart phones you always have a camera nearby.
I have followed your rebuild and I would say you can comfortably say, "Yeah mate, I restored the bike."
You undertook some amazing challenges and came through with flying colours.

I am not suggesting that folk who buy a fully restored bike, or get lots of help are doing anything wrong. It is just a personal question for each of us. How much will I do myself.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

jimkav

Post by jimkav »

Disassembled down to the bare case.
De-grease and power wash case at self serve car wash
Gave cranks and heads to machinist to check crank and heads.
Reassembled myself
Fired right up 2nd kick

malmac

Post by malmac »

jimkav wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 5:12 am
Disassembled down to the bare case.
De-grease and power wash case at self serve car wash
Gave cranks and heads to machinist to check crank and heads.
Reassembled myself
Fired right up 2nd kick
I am glad that your restoration worked out so well.
Don't they sound great when you listen to the crankcase breather chuffing away at idle?
I think that is the sound I like the best.

Enjoy the ride.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

pmtremblay

Post by pmtremblay »

Very little for me. I didn't feel comfortable tackling 40 years of neglect and wanted the peace of mind of having pros do the mechanical refresh and check everything. I don't plan on restoring my R27, I do want it to be reliable and last another 60 years. I just got back from an hour ride, where I hit 66 mph and the bike was terrific. I'm looking forward to the long term maintenance and trouble shooting, but it's great to know everything to this point has been done right.
Patrick in Virginia
'66 R27
'22 G310R

malmac

Post by malmac »

pmtremblay wrote:
Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:59 pm
Very little for me. I didn't feel comfortable tackling 40 years of neglect and wanted the peace of mind of having pros do the mechanical refresh and check everything. I don't plan on restoring my R27, I do want it to be reliable and last another 60 years. I just got back from an hour ride, where I hit 66 mph and the bike was terrific. I'm looking forward to the long term maintenance and trouble shooting, but it's great to know everything to this point has been done right.
It gives me hope that one day I will complete the long restoration project and be out riding my bike. It seems like it is taking forever. So I have been questioning how much I have to do myself. Its not really about the money, but there are times when I get all economical.

Great to hear your bike is running and giving you so much pleasure.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

Did almost everything myself 10 years ago including paint, took everything down to the screw. Did the wiring, rebuilt everything. I sent the crank/rods to be checked and outfitted with new bearings. Built the wheels. Had the tires put on because I don't have a machine. Took the rear diff down to the casing and rebuilt that.

Ironically after that taking about 3 years of full weekends of work my only regret is only putting 3k miles on it. Low mileage more than anything makes the bike stale. Had to go through it again last year to make a few sitting issues right like redo the carbs, new tires, some electric stuff (apparently coils that just sit develop some bad problems) and get new tires again because the 10 year old ones with no mileage were as hard as a rock.
1969 r60/2, 1972 r75/5, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Ducati 750 GT, 1966 Honda 450 Black Bomber, 1965 Honda Superhawk, 1971 Honda CB 750

San Francisco, CA

malmac

Post by malmac »

Discogodfather wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:16 pm
Did almost everything myself 10 years ago including paint, took everything down to the screw. Did the wiring, rebuilt everything. I sent the crank/rods to be checked and outfitted with new bearings. Built the wheels. Had the tires put on because I don't have a machine. Took the rear diff down to the casing and rebuilt that.

Ironically after that taking about 3 years of full weekends of work my only regret is only putting 3k miles on it. Low mileage more than anything makes the bike stale. Had to go through it again last year to make a few sitting issues right like redo the carbs, new tires, some electric stuff (apparently coils that just sit develop some bad problems) and get new tires again because the 10 year old ones with no mileage were as hard as a rock.
Well that is very impressive. I am trying to do as much as possible, but there are times when I think, maybe I could just contract this or that out and be out riding.
Rolled the 1200GS out last week end and took my wife out for a ride, just to keep her roadworthy. But really I wanted to be on the 69s that sits in pieces still.

So did you do the pin striping yourself as well?

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

I have a telegraphist pulse, no pint striping for me.
I used tape and modify the design, hahahaha.

Mal you do fabricate tools, you are far out. Something I don’t do is chrome plating I’ve blackened metals, but that is it.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD