If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

How much of the restoration will you do or did

cwf

Re: How much of the restoration will you do or did

Post by cwf »

(Charlie, I seem to be a tinkerer, rather than a rider or a polisher.
Glad to hear the risk you took has paid off. Mal.)

Yes, it was a risk and I'm glad it has worked so far, but I like a bit of risk. I'm 67 and fully aware I don't bounce like I used to at 25 but riding a bike is risky. Riding an old bike long distance is a different risk. If there's a breakdown, one has to find a way around it and, in doing so one tends to meet interesting folk.

40 years ago, I was riding a 175cc CZ (2-stroke), two-up around Turkey, avoiding tarmac. A smooth patch of dust concealed a sharp stone which split the tyre. We were contemplating this little problem when a local came up, saw what had happened and returned some while later with something and two G-clamps. The something he clamped to the inside of the tyre, lit the back of it, there was a muffled explosion, we waited a bit and there was a strip of rubber vulcanised to the inside - problem solved. We spent the night eating with his family, sharing our two words in common and sleeping on their flat roof - why I like travel.

Just off for a 150 mile trip to do some birdwatching. Common cranes are just beginning to reestablish themselves in the UK.

Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

malmac

Post by malmac »

CWRoady wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:17 pm
malmac wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 4:21 pm

You bike looks great and I am sure it runs just as well.
But can we see the 1968 Yardart --- now that sounds interesting.

Mal
Happy to show them as best I can .. an avacado tree is well on its way to owning them. I get a twisted pleasure I can't logically explain just knowing they are there. They are both examples of bikes I owned and spent countless joyful hours on riding in the high deserts of Southern California as a teenager with my my parents and siblings. I originally went to check out the Sachs from an add and found it well beyond anything I would restore, but the seller made me an offer I couldn't refuse if I would take the old Hodaka as well.

IMG_0183 2.JPGIMG_0182 2.JPG

Ahh Chris

Now that is a 3D metaphor for old riders never die, they just become part of the landscape.

At least one is not an R5 and the other an R68...... now that would be blasphemy.

Really love it. Thanks for posting.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

cwf wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:22 am
(Charlie, I seem to be a tinkerer, rather than a rider or a polisher.
Glad to hear the risk you took has paid off. Mal.)

Yes, it was a risk and I'm glad it has worked so far, but I like a bit of risk. I'm 67 and fully aware I don't bounce like I used to at 25 but riding a bike is risky. Riding an old bike long distance is a different risk. If there's a breakdown, one has to find a way around it and, in doing so one tends to meet interesting folk.

40 years ago, I was riding a 175cc CZ (2-stroke), two-up around Turkey, avoiding tarmac. A smooth patch of dust concealed a sharp stone which split the tyre. We were contemplating this little problem when a local came up, saw what had happened and returned some while later with something and two G-clamps. The something he clamped to the inside of the tyre, lit the back of it, there was a muffled explosion, we waited a bit and there was a strip of rubber vulcanised to the inside - problem solved. We spent the night eating with his family, sharing our two words in common and sleeping on their flat roof - why I like travel.

Just off for a 150 mile trip to do some birdwatching. Common cranes are just beginning to reestablish themselves in the UK.

Charlie.
Well Charlie, you will always be welcome at our home in Australia.

You ask because you think I have a tyre repair shop and a flat roof to sleep on?
Well no, you said the magic word, bird watching.
My wife is a bird nerd and if we dont spend several moths chasing birds all over Australia then something has gone wrong.
Originally we had a small trailer behind our R1200GSA, but we now have a 4x4 with a camper on the ute.
So my wife will be over the moon to take you to the local birdwatching spots in South East Queensland.

By the way thanks for the great travel yarn.

Mal

and here is a photo my wife took last month of two bustards in the Cloncurry River.
Attachments
two bustards.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

cwf

Post by cwf »

(and here is a photo my wife took last month of two bustards in the Cloncurry River)

Hello Mal, lovely photo. They've tried to reintroduce a different type of bustard to the UK but I don't think it has been successful, so I've never seen one.

Typically, one only has to mention how well the bike's going for... I noticed the front forks weren't working as they should and looked down - one shock looked like it had been bent. I stopped and took it off and the top mount had unscrewed from the piston rod. I didn't look but I suppose there must be a flat to hold it while tightening the top mount. So I screwed it back as best I could and kept an eye on it. Lovely ride though, 21/22C and sunny. Cranes had flown south but there were cattle, little and great white egrets, all recent arrivals in UK.

Thanks for the offer of a roof. I'm afraid I no longer have the energy for an overland to Aus and the wife requires hot and cold running water these days and she's working for another six months or so but after that, if the world is still round, we might try a long plane ride. Or if you want to come here, I've a 75/7 with an off-road sidecar.

Best wishes, Charlie.
75/7+ offroad sidecar; 50/2; R 35; XR125V; XR200A; Solex; 1939 Hillman Minx DHC.

malmac

Post by malmac »

cwf wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:08 pm
(and here is a photo my wife took last month of two bustards in the Cloncurry River)

Hello Mal, lovely photo. They've tried to reintroduce a different type of bustard to the UK but I don't think it has been successful, so I've never seen one.

Typically, one only has to mention how well the bike's going for... I noticed the front forks weren't working as they should and looked down - one shock looked like it had been bent. I stopped and took it off and the top mount had unscrewed from the piston rod. I didn't look but I suppose there must be a flat to hold it while tightening the top mount. So I screwed it back as best I could and kept an eye on it. Lovely ride though, 21/22C and sunny. Cranes had flown south but there were cattle, little and great white egrets, all recent arrivals in UK.

Thanks for the offer of a roof. I'm afraid I no longer have the energy for an overland to Aus and the wife requires hot and cold running water these days and she's working for another six months or so but after that, if the world is still round, we might try a long plane ride. Or if you want to come here, I've a 75/7 with an off-road sidecar.

Best wishes, Charlie.
Charlie

We do have hot and cold running water in Australia, these days. Things have come along quite nicely. Ha Ha.
We do have a son living in London, but when we want to see him, we send him the air fare home. Like you I am nearly 70 and don't enjoy the long flights much.

There is a small flat on the inner shaft of the shock. You will find it if you haven't already done so.

Regards

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Mal
Great picture of the bustards !!!!!
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

malmac

Post by malmac »

wa1nca wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:57 am
Mal
Great picture of the bustards !!!!!
Tommy
I'll let my wife know, she took the photo. Just have to get her to focus on photographing classic BMW's.
The site can only stand so many digressions from the core subject area.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

PeeWee

Post by PeeWee »

I did a total restoration .the bike wasn’t really pretty anymore when I bought it.
The engine was done by Salis, the striping by : oldtimer linierung in Wiesbaden
And the assembling I did myself.
All together a nice result I think .

BEFORE :
F83D659D-8AA0-4EC1-A0DE-0E4E7C0B4C09.jpeg
AFTER :
E30F9B93-17B0-4676-B7CD-2423C21624D8.jpeg

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

You are right! It is a nice result!
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

malmac

Post by malmac »

PeeWee wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:27 pm
I did a total restoration .the bike wasn’t really pretty anymore when I bought it.
The engine was done by Salis, the striping by : oldtimer linierung in Wiesbaden
And the assembling I did myself.
All together a nice result I think .

BEFORE :

F83D659D-8AA0-4EC1-A0DE-0E4E7C0B4C09.jpeg

AFTER :

E30F9B93-17B0-4676-B7CD-2423C21624D8.jpeg
The bike looks great. I guess when I started this thread I was interested in the range of replies.
Some folk have focused on lots of hands on and other have taken a different route.
No route is better than any other, just different rewards on offering along the way.

You have a finished bike, great.
I have little doubt that anything, Jan at Salis works on will be top quality.

Regards

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia