If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1965 R60/2 Overhaul

Flx48

Re: 1965 R60/2 Overhaul

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Bill-
Well I'm done with today's riding, so here's my own two cents.

There are competent guys doing slinger work in most areas of the country.
I could recommend a couple located here in New England.
And no doubt just about any of the guys taking slinger work would do an engine shipped to them, but if money matters, the closer to you obviously the cheaper the freight.
And best is within your driving range, as nothing beats a face to face; there must be a few guys in the Denver area.
Most dealerships are not where to look for work on the older bikes, they tend to have little experience with them as they concentrate heavily on the new bikes, but the older wrenches probably know who the capable guys in the area are and who you'll want to use.
If having someone doing just the slinger work on your bike, know that half the cost will be removing and replacing the engine in the bike, though you sound like you may be up for that part. (while slingers are being done is the perfect time to do the three trans seals)
And rare is the engine that gets torn down that only gets the slingers cleaned, if the bike has sat 43 years, I'd expect to find a few other things wanting attention.
Unless you're confident about assessing the condition and fitment of all the various engine parts, you may want to let the slinger guy do all the disassembly, and trust his critical eye.

But you asked about tools, too; so maybe you're deciding whether or not to do the whole job yourself?
Back when the two clubs combined, I thought Richard was maybe bringing the loaner tools here; hopefully one of the clubbers will join in here and tell us what's what?

If you do decide to remove the flywheel, and the bike has felt like a smooth runner, perhaps index the pressure plate, etc, in case it had previously been balanced.
You asked about lightening the flywheel, and that's a subjective question; which begs another question, which is why lighten?
A lighter flywheel does allow for quicker shifts and quicker revs, but this is an R60, (not an S model) which makes its power down low, and is not really a go-fast candidate, maybe enjoy it as is?

You mentioned having the Benchmark book; I'm not familiar with that, and maybe you meant the Barrington book, if not, the Barrington book is very much worth having.

In your list of things you'd serviced, I didn't see the swingarms, but maybe you've done them.
If not, they're worth inspecting, lubing, and checking clearances, as the rollers tend to displace lube in short order and then run dry.
This is because they never roll over, as when used in a wheel, they just rock back and forth in place.
If you see ghosting on the outer race after removing the rollers, it's a sign of chemical etching, meaning corrosion is working its way through the surface hardening.

The screws on the advance plate; back when these bikes were current, it was popular for the shops to put a dollop of paint, or something, on top of the screw as a kind of locktite to help the screw resist loosening after a service. 

Do you feel those dollars melting away yet?
Ha!
Enjoy the process, and then the ride, Bill.
Best-
George

pinbill

Post by pinbill »

Thanks for getting back to me. Here is an update:

Couldn't find anyone in Denver to rebuild the bottom end. I would need to ship it and that is a little scary. Most of the value is in the matching case. Matt Isles is around and can do small repairs if I bring him the assemblies. That is good to know.

I removed the swing arm, separated the driveshaft and bell, removed the trans, took apart the top end, removed the motor, built a motor stand, and cleaned the frame. I used the Barrington Book. It is very good. The driveshaft u joint and swing arm bearings are shot. I think The pistons and cylinders are free of scratches.

Here is the current plan. I ordered a driveshaft, swing arm bearings and seals, pinion seal for the, final drive (the other final drive seals have been done) and transmission gasket set. I also ordered the Cycle works tools to do the slingers and shim the transmission. I am going to start with the final drive and swing arm so I can make a roller. Then do the motor and then the transmission. I will take the cylinder and pistons to a shop to have them measured. I will run them again unless they are way too out of whack. I plan to have the cylinder honed and put new rings on it. I have a place that will clean the snot out of the cases and head ect.. while they are at it.

I am not going to lighten the flywheel. Next winter I will do the shocks, head bearings, and earls fork stuff.

Yes, the money is melting... I may have to work a bit to get some cash. LOL.

Thanks again for the help,

Bill

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

Nice find. Good luck with it I liked Mac/MCM, mufflers better than BMW when I was building a daily rider.
This will only make sense to city riders. I live Brooklyn and keep my machine in the front yard of my house. When heading out to work I'd push the machine out and had to go off the sidewalk curb to the street. BMW mufflers are longer and would hit the curb going off forward, I'd have to back the machine off. The Mac/MCM units being a bit shorter would clear easily.
Frank. NYC.
Frank,
NYC

pinbill

Post by pinbill »

Thanks man,

I love the bike and plan to keep it for a long time.

I ordered some tools from Cycle works a week ago. I got a confirmation email but haven't seen a tracking number. I have tried to reach them by phone and email. Are they still open?

Also, I am going to adjust the forks in the trans. Does Cycle Works still make the small plate to hold the input shaft when adjusting the forks?

Bill

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Cycleworks is a one-man operation, so it might take some time. I'd keep hanging in there!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Cycle works does not carry the small adjustment plate any longer. Do not expect any communication from him, you will likely get your tools though. Just hope everything is correct, because you'll never get in contact with him to make it right.

Mike Benoit (spike buck on ebay) now has the small shift fork adjusting plate.

Dave
Dave

pinbill

Post by pinbill »

I will likely get my tools...That sounds a bit scary. Does Cycleworks have a history of taking money and not sending orders?

I ordered my input shaft tool from Vintage Beemer Parts. I got a sweet vintage depth gauge from Ebay too.

bellsonracing

Post by bellsonracing »

I have a 1965 R60/2, and did an overhaul.
Few comments.
- I have bought a few Cycleworks tools, and they have always arrived. The TRANSMISSION OUTPUT FLANGE HOLDER/PULLER tool came with the holes a little off, and he made it right. He sent a new one, no charge.
- Why are you rebuilding your transmission? In my opinion, if it works, then don't touch it. If you do rebuild it, two tips: Buy a good calipers AND depth gauge to measure the shims. Don't be a cheap-ass like me and try to do both with the calipers. It doesn't work. And, buy the shim kit from Cycleworks. It has an assortment for all three shafts, that in combination, can make any size you need.
- I agree with the other posters. The stock pipes stick out more and can scrape the curb when backing up. Also, my friend has an identical bike with aftermarket pipes, and he has a higher top end.

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

The Cycleworks questions come up rather routinely due to poor communication, BUT, I have always received my orders and wouldn't hesitate to order again. It ain't no Amazon with the order on your doorstep before you log off, but the tools work and I am glad to have them.
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

A few years back, Dan decided to start a family (good on him!) and went back to being a full time engineer, as CycleWorks is good for supporting just him, but not a family.
To our good fortune he's kept the business going; however he can devote just one day a week to CW business, so patience on our end is required.
A very helpful guy, with very little time for the moment.
Best-
George