If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1965 R60/2 Overhaul

pinbill

Re: 1965 R60/2 Overhaul

Post by pinbill »

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for all the great info. It's great to know all the quirks of these bikes from people who have been riding them for a long time. With all the views on this thread, I am debating starting a youtube channel. Haha.

Here are my thoughts on the head. I couldn't put new valves on old seats. If I did the seats and valves I would have done the guides too. Then I would have brand new valves on old pistons and cylinders. All the compression and oil shoots past the rings. That's not really what I was going for. I like OEM parts too. My original plan was to reassemble the top end as is without touching anything. The cylinders and pistons can be off in two hours. If I needed a rebuild it would be easy to do in the future. I don't have 2k right now for parts. Anyway, everything was within spec so I lapped, honed, and re ringed.

It is my understanding that coils die over a period of time. Its good to know that they are prone to failure. I will watch for the symptoms. Right now its working ok.

I ended up shimming the rocker towers. They were between .2 and .5mm out. I could have gotten away without doing it but it seemed like the right thing to do. Anyway, I had to buy a ton of shims from Metric and Multistandard to meet the minimum order. I have enough shims to do 10 bikes. If anyone needs shims I will send them out to you. Shoot me a PM.

This will be my around town Denver bike that will hardly ever see highways. I have three old bikes and two old cars that all need to be driven and I use them as much as I can. I drive them all, I swear. As a matter of fact I have a 1970 Chevy Impala at my parents garage that I bought in 1993. It has 62k on the clock. I bought it with 55k miles on it. My parents are getting old and the car has been sitting. Its beautiful but needs to be recommissioned as well. So if I put 10k miles on this bike before I am too old to start it, it will be a miracle.

I was out in the garage again last night and the top end is good. I am happy with it. It has that compression pop when you kick it and it fires right away like a low mileage kick start bike. I knew I would be tempted to hook up the driveshaft and ride it without doing the trans. That's why I removed the flange, reinstalled it without fully torquing the nut, secured the driveshaft, and started the bike with the trans in neutral. It forces me to take the trans out again and I will take it apart because I am 1/2 way there. Stay tuned. Thanks again for all the help.

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

I'd stick the trans in change the gear oil and ride it. Just before you actually shift put slight pressure on the foot lever before pulling the clutch, it'll make for a smoother transition. You have long snowy winters out there. That's the time to do the trans.
Good luck.
Frank.
NYC.
Frank,
NYC

pinbill

Post by pinbill »

The trans came apart today. It needed to be resealed at the very least. The flange and rear cover needed to come off to redo the gasket so it is getting the works: new seals, bearings, re shim, and /5 shift fork bushings. I am going to start a new thread though.