If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Flywheel install issues

Ziggy

Flywheel install issues

Post by Ziggy »

Has anyone ever gone to install the flywheel and had it somehow drive the rear main seal inward? Additionally, the oil baffle became misshapen, wavy washer unchanged. Rods are near to perfect in cyl bores, proper spacers installed. Did clean the flywheel and taper with joint compound to mate surfaces, but nothing excessive. Richard at Benchmark said you would have had to had turned for days to remove significant material.
JF Rogers
'63 r60/2
Scituate, MA

jwonder

Re: Flywheel install issues

Post by jwonder »

Ziggy,

If you have the Barrington manual it is described on page 282 with the crank out and in the motor. I would think you have too little clearance.

James
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

I do have the book and will be taking a look again at all the measurements. I did, before installing the crank, set the flywheel on and measured the gap between it and the bearing. It was sufficient to accept the baffle/wavy washer. So, something has gone awry in my installation process.
JF Rogers
'63 r60/2
Scituate, MA

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

Do you recall what thickness your front crank spacer is? According to Barrington, it should be 3.6mm. Also, if your rear main bearing got 'left behind' when you drew the crank forward, your stack of wave washer and oil baffle would be left too far rearward.

Dave
Dave

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy »

Spacer is 3.6 mm. To your point, checking the bearing location will be looked at.
JF Rogers
'63 r60/2
Scituate, MA