If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/2-Now my generator has quit working!

Kurt V

R60/2-Now my generator has quit working!

Post by Kurt V »

Having solved my advance timing unit problem I now have a new problem. My generator has finally given up the ghost. It has been intermittent for sometime now with the generator light staying on for a short period of time and then going off. It is now on all the time. I thought new brushes might fix the problem, but no luck. I’ve read completely through the article on understanding the /2 electrical system. I ran all of the tests in the article. The generator is only producing about 1.5 V.

I thought about buying a new generator, but I see that the Vape system is about the same price. It seems I would be better off buying the Vape system.

Has anyone run the Vape 12 V charging system and kept their magneto and points system?

Thoughts from the collective? Thanks!
Last edited by Kurt V on Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS
1973 Norton 850, 1973 RD 350

schrader7032

Re: R60/2-Now my generator has quit working!

Post by schrader7032 »

DC electrikery are not my strong suit! I've never explored the idea of getting a 6V generator rebuild...they can rebuilt 12V alternators. I wonder if Vech would have any ideas on repairs. I do see where he sells a 12V conversion...I wonder how comparable his price is to the other options.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Kurt,

First, if you do not already have a solid state regulator please make sure it is not the regulator. I would check the field coils and also each segment of the rotor. I would do this first to see what the issue is. Pag 25 and 26 of the book you referenced.

Second, I own the Vape system and use it for 12 volt on my 1967 R69S. I love it! In fact, if I had a R60/2 I would use the whole system, ignition AND alternator. I am a fan of the system and you can keep the points, etc, BUT the Vape system is better than the older system. Don't use it for the ignition if you have a lightened flywheel. If you have a lightened flywheel you can still use it for the 12 volt system.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Kurt V

Post by Kurt V »

James, thanks for the feedback! I ran all of the tests shown in the manual and still have no idea why I’m not getting voltage. In the end, I think I would rather have an updated charging system then try to revive a 56-year-old charging system.

Having just updated my advanced unit and Emerald Isle coil, along with new points, I think I’ll keep the ignition system that is in there right now. Bike starts on the first kick hot or cold.
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Of course, the charging system is only needed to refill the battery after being discharged when using the headlights at say idle speed. So technically, the generator is not needed in order to ride the bike.
Kurt in S.A.

Kurt V

Post by Kurt V »

Kurt, correct me if I’m wrong, but my understanding of the system, also confirmed by the understanding the electrical system manual, is that the magneto only supplies electricity to the points and coil. The generator provides electricity to everything else, lights, horn, and to charge the battery.

My magneto ignition system is working great. Starts on the first kick. But without the generator recharging the battery I quickly lose power to the lights and horn. What I’ve been doing is only using the tail lights and brake light to conserve electricity. I then recharge the battery when I get home.
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Ooops my bad...forget everything after hello! I was thinking about the battery. You don't need a battery, but you do need the generator. The battery is needed to run the headlights at idle, but the generator runs things at higher RPMs.

Mea culpa!
Kurt in S.A.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

I feel sure that a new electronic voltage regulator will solve your problem.

Dave
Dave

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

to test the regulator:
remove the F(field) wire from the regulator and connect it to ground
run the engine and see if you get at least 6.5 volts
If you do then the regulator is bad
you stated that the field coils,springs, and brushes are ok so if you still have low output then the generator armature is most likely bad

tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

Kurt V

Post by Kurt V »

Tommy, I went ahead and performed the test as you outlined. I get 1.2 V. Pretty sure the armature is shot. I went ahead and ordered the Vape 12 V set up. But thanks for giving me at least one more test to try out!
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS