If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R60/2-Now my generator has quit working!

Kurt V

Re: R60/2-Now my generator has quit working!

Post by Kurt V »

I decided to bite the bullet and convert my 6 V generator system to a 12 V alternator system. For the same price as a new generator I could convert the charging system from 6 V generator to 12 V alternator. Which would give me brighter lights and more charging power. I would still be able to keep the magneto for starting and running the engine.

Over the course of the last couple of days I got the new system installed. Works great! Comes with a solid-state voltage regulator which tucks up under the gas tank.

Total time involved for me to complete the conversion, including swapping out all of the 6 V lightbulbs for 12 V bulbs was about five hours. The boxer2valve video on the installation was invaluable.

Image[/B]
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS
1973 Norton 850, 1973 RD 350

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Looks pretty slick! Question...do the triangular points near the end of the spark plug wires still come into play? On the magneto system, those points needed to be within 10-11mm of the end of the wire for safety purposes. Just wondering if that's the same need now.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Kurt V

Post by Kurt V »

Yes, the ignition system works like it always has in the past. The bike still has separate systems for the ignition and for charging. Not sure about the distance the triangular points need to be from the spark plug wires, but I did test them by individually pulling the spark plug boot on each spark plug and I could see the spark jumping from the spark plug wire at the coil to the triangular point on the magneto. So I guess I must have them close enough!
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

That looks like the best way to upgrade the charging system. While still retaining the magneto ignition, unlike the stock set-up, you can't run the bike with a dead battery or no battery - the bike will run, but it will damage the alternator/regulator. No big deal for most, just different from the stock system.

Dave
Dave

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

were you able to buy the charging system only or did you have to buy the whole system and not install the ignition portion
What was you cost and how long did it take to get it shipped
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

Kurt V

Post by Kurt V »

Tommy, I was able to order it from boxer2valve. Only took a few days to get here. But at the time I ordered it on August 30, they only had the one in stock. When I talked to them on the phone they said if it wasn’t listed on their site they were out of stock. It would take 3 to 4 weeks to get one in stock.

And to be clear, I was able to order the charging system separate from the ignition system.

Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS