If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Installing new wiring harness

johnloomis

Installing new wiring harness

Post by johnloomis »

I'm in the process of rebuilding a basket case R50/2. It came to me in boxes with almost every wire removed, wrapped
in a coil and put in a ziploc bag. So I ordered a new wiring harness from Benchmark Works and started to install it. Now I've got my back to the wall not knowing where to start, how to route the wires along the frame or which wires go through which holes. I'm hoping to find some reference, in addition to the schematic, that will give me some guidance. Any help will be appreciated.

schrader7032

Re: Installing new wiring harness

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! I saved some "cartoons" from a while ago that gives some idea of routing...not sure who made these or their accuracy. But maybe they will give you a place to start. Maybe others have photos that they can share.
Attachments
Wiring4.jpg
Wiring3.jpg
Wiring1-2.jpg
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

The Barrington Motor Works manual gives a comprehensive step-by-step instruction for installing and routing a new harness. Don't trim any wires even if they seem too long!

Bill
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

Datchew

Post by Datchew »

I have a few from when i did this on my R50/2 with a new harness.
A couple key shots below.
Ignore the r100 rotor and 12v system under the tank but the under tank photo is one of the best guides besides the cartoon images already posted.

I have more as well as tons of photos from the Spartnburg, SC museum in my photo account so PM me for more.

San Arthur

Post by San Arthur »

Johnloomis if you don;t already have the Barrington Motor Works manual I also strongly suggest you get a copy.

Good luck.
San Arthur in San Antonio, Texas
'58 R26 '76 R90S '88 R100RS '94 R100GS/PD

johnloomis

Post by johnloomis »

Wow, I posted a question about installing a wiring harness on a 1962 R50/2 because I was stuck and didn't know
where to go next. You guys are the right place to go when you're stuck. The photos and drawings were very helpful
and the suggestion that I get a copy of the Barrington Motor Works restoration manual great advice. It came yesterday afternoon and I have spent hours looking at it. I found answers to questions that I didn't even know I had; what a great
resource. Thanks for all the advice and I am, thankfully, moving forward again. John

dellatorre6708

Post by dellatorre6708 »

Frank,
NYC