If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Only one side of the engine works...

Micha

Only one side of the engine works...

Post by Micha »

As mentioned, I installed the PowerDynamo digital ignition system.
Everything works fine but there is still one problem that was even before installation and remains now: the left side of the engine works and the exhaust heats up (really hot) within 20-30 seconds of work, and the right side stays cold.
Once again I replaced the spark plugs (I buy them from Salis, made by NGK Japan), once again I checked the carburetor on the cold side, the brass floats nicely on the fuel (both sides get fuel). That faulty cold side BTW is the one that has the leaking carb. That leak from the idle mix screw as I have mentioned here before in some post.

I'm not at all sure that the problems on both sides are connected to each other, I divide them into two:
The right side that does not work but only participates in the rounds (where it has the fuel leak)
and the problem on the left side that works but suffers from overheating (in my opinion).

So now I really don't know how to proceed, what to check next.

UPDATE:
Although I replaced piston rings, my suspicion first fell on pressure loss.
I do not have a pressure gauge but I checked with my finger in the primitive method, while my son was turning the engine: the pressure seems to be very high. The finger flew out of place and there was fuel vapor on it.

More musings:
Maybe I'm wrong and on the working side there is no problem at all?
Is the exhaust, where it is connected to the engine really supposed to heat up so significantly - so fast?
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

wa1nca

Re: Only one side of the engine works...

Post by wa1nca »

yea I think the left side may be ok
it is running hot because of the problem with the right side
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

Micha

Post by Micha »

Last night I spoke on the phone with a retired mechanic, who said that there is no connection between the two sides. According to him, the side that works is very hot, but not because the right side refuses to work and "loads" on it.
I see that there is no escape from opening the engine ...

What do you guys think?
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

So the left side runs and the right doesn't and you're sure you have spark and fuel on both, right? Check your valve settings. If you were distracted when setting them and rotated the engine two revolutions instead of one to the timing marks for the other side this is what happens. Don't ask me how I know.
Bill Husted
Barre, MA
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

Micha

Post by Micha »

Thanks Bill.
I really hope you're right, because I've arranged a pressure gauge, and I'm not getting there more than 50 PSI...

And 120 PSI on the other.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Kurt V

Post by Kurt V »

I would definitely re-check the valve settings on the nonworking side. The fact that you only have 50 psi on that side as an indication of an incorrect valve adjustment. Unless you somehow screwed up things when you installed the new rings. However, generally speaking, the engine should fire even with just 50 psi. But I still think you have a valve adjustment problem.

If, even after rechecking the valve adjustment, you still get no firing on that side I would remove the air tube from the air filter to the carburetor and then I would spray a small amount of starting fluid directly into the carburetor. If you’ve got spark, then it should definitely fire off. If it does, you have a carburetor problem.
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS
1973 Norton 850, 1973 RD 350