If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Help needed with new PowerDynamo/VAPE system instl.

Micha

Help needed with new PowerDynamo/VAPE system instl.

Post by Micha »

Hello all,
At the moment I ran the bike with an original magneto & an old powerdynamo lightning/charging system (no ignition, back then there where alternators only available, 12 volts kits of course).
Due to differential timing problems, I went and bought over at Salis the complete system- https://www.powerdynamo.biz/eng/systems ... 81main.htm.
I took off the old powerdynamo alternator and the old original magneto (intend to sell them later).
All went good with the installation of the new complete system until I tried to couple it to the lightning system.
The paragraph - "Connecting Powerdynamo alternator to lighting circuit (via regulator):" - when scrolling down, right after the colored wiring diagram - is not clear to me (English is not my native language and I was never considered a great electrician) and the fact that I already have an old alternator fitted makes it difficult, as the instructions apply to the old original system and not to the alternator I already have. I'm afraid to damage the new system.
I will appreciate any help or input regarding this issue.

P.S. on that electrical colored wiring, it says on the upper left unit "4 pol dynamo" - I assume they mean "alternator"?

Current situation: All connectors are coupled according to instructions and so are all the units, modules etc.

Thanks a lot!

Editing:
I want to sharpen the question:
The red wire that is connected to the new regulator should go directly to the positive pole of the battery.
The brown should connect to the negative pole.
There is currently a new, thick red wire already running from the plus pole on the battery - over to switch 51 in the headlamp.
Is it possible to connect the new wire there on 51, instead of to the battery?
And can I connect the brown wire from the regulator to the minus bolt on the tranny?
This will make my job very easy and so the currently relatively new harness will not be damaged, I will not have to disassemble it.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Flx48

Re: Help needed with new PowerDynamo/VAPE system instl.

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Michael-
First, understand the Vape directions in English have been written by someone whose first language is also not English, and English speakers struggle with understanding them as well.

Your question about the word "dynamo" is perhaps a small example; that this system includes a rectifier indicates that the system uses an alternator, rather than a dynamo(generator) so yes, they meant alternator.

With regard to connecting the ignition system power and ground wires at the headlight and trans rather than directly to the battery, yes this can be done, but I believe the manufacturers would definitely like the connections to be made directly to the power source to avoid any extra chances of power interruption to the ignition, caused by adding those additional connections to complete the circuit.
Keep it simple; run the wires directly to the battery, and connect them along with the wiring harness connections to the battery terminals, do not alter your bike's new wiring harness, there is no need.
Best-
George

Micha

Post by Micha »

Thanks a lot.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Quote:
The red wire that is connected to the new regulator should go directly to the positive pole of the battery.
The brown should connect to the negative pole.
There is currently a new, thick red wire already running from the plus pole on the battery - over to switch 51 in the headlamp.
Is it possible to connect the new wire there on 51, instead of to the battery?
And can I connect the brown wire from the regulator to the minus bolt on the tranny?

Yes
The red wire can go to #51 no problem,and just connect the brown wire to the frame near the new regulator.
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

Micha

Post by Micha »

Thanks a lot.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

pkrpkr

Post by pkrpkr »

Micha wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:10 am
English is not my native language
If you go to Vape's website, you can download the installation instructions in German too.