If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Brain replacement (ignition board) with rocky point kit

Datchew

Re: Brain replacement (ignition board) with rocky point kit

Post by Datchew »

let me pull some pics and get info to you

Datchew

Post by Datchew »

A user named Pokie on the advrider forum helped me with this.
His instructions that i followed using the schematic are below:
Select a wire that is powered when the ignition is on (on BMW it's usually a green wire or green with a black stripe), tap off of that wire. The other side of the relay will need a ground wire (brown) to activate the internal relay coil switch. The brown with black stripe wire will be the one switched, attach to the "open" side of the relay when powered. Another ground wire is attached to the other pole of the relay (leaving one pole empty). Now, when the power is off the relay will naturally ground, when the power is on, the circuit will be open, allowing the magneto to be live.

In the photo above (that I scooped off the net) #85 would be Green (power with ignition "ON"), #86 would be Brown or ground, #30 would be Brown or ground, and #87A would be Brown with a Black stripe (magneto). #87 will be empty, no wire attached. On the older /2s, the magneto wire was black with a purple stripe.

JeffR

Post by JeffR »

Is there any reason why the the Rocky Point Ignition switch would NOT work in an R 26 still running the 6 volt stock system? Not quite stock - the voltage regulator has been replaced with an electronic component from Ulis in Germany. If anyone has successfully made the change from the BMW switch to Rocky Point unit and can supply a drawing, I would appreciate the information. Thanks to all.
Jeff
Jeff/Hudson NY

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

yes it will
no need for a kill switch/relay because R26 does not have a magneto ignition, and will stop the engine when the key is in the off position.

Does anyone have a picture/diagram of he rocky mountain switch

Tommy Byrnes
Last edited by wa1nca on Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

One side of the coil and center contact of the relay switch connected to ground
Other side of coil connected to key on
nc side of relay switch connected to magneto wire

Tommy Byrnes
Attachments
DSC0536211.JPG
DSC0536211.JPG (20.67 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

tony.moore

Post by tony.moore »

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. i’ve learned a lot in my quest to replace the failing “brain board” of my ‘68 BMW R60US.

However, my most recent learning is that Rocky Point is no more. They’re closed. Their website appears to take orders, but their voicemail leaves an entertaining and clear message of their closure, and openness to sell their business, but not to any “fly by’s” :-)

So, can anyone with this kit, or anyone who has made their own version, comment on the specifics of the switch and “collar” that came with the kit so that I can source and make my own?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

skychs

Post by skychs »

This is the diagram they sent me for mine. I know its a diagram for an R75/5 but it may help. The early R75 has the same circuit board in the headlight bucket.
Attachments
IMG_0283.JPG
IMG_0280.JPG
IMG_0270.JPG
1966 R60/2, 1967 R69S, 1975 R90S, 2020 R1250GSA

Herr Curly

Post by Herr Curly »

Tried to email RockyPoint Cycle this morning regarding possible purchase of their switch kit for my R27. The stock switch / nail-key / circuit board / headlight shell tab apparatus has been troublesome for years, to make a maddening story short.

Anyway, received this text in response:

I'm sad to inform you of the passing of Bill Blake, owner of Rocky Point Cycle. This email address and the business will no longer be monitored by anyone.