If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/2 type 120 carb difficulties

wa1nca

Re: /2 type 120 carb difficulties

Post by wa1nca »

Good news
Modified wrench to loosen/lock air screw jam nut
DSC03817.JPG
tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Salis carb wrench. It’s worth a couple of bucks and not long enough to over tighten things.
image.jpg
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

fossilfuel

Post by fossilfuel »

Hi Everyone. I'm a long time lurker but this is my first post. I am trying to bring back to life a "well patina'd" 1968 r60/2.

I am trying to go through the tune-up procedure and I am to the throttle / cables / carb interface.

I cleaned, lubed and set the throttle tube/gear and routed the cables for the least bends. I screwed the cable adjusters at the slide tops down as low as they would go. When I put the slides in and screw the tops down, one carb has a nice bit of cable slack, but the other side has no slack and pulls on the slide right away.

I think I want to get a new set of cables. Here is where my issue is.... the end of the cable won't pull out through the top of the slider top.... see the pictures. I can cut the end of the cable off (??!!) but I am afraid any new cable I buy will have the same sort of end and I won't be able to get the cable INTO the top....?

Am I missing something? My bike has euro-low bars, I believe. Thanks in advance!!
Attachments
IMG_8099.jpeg
IMG_8164.jpeg
IMG_8165.jpeg

R68

Post by R68 »

...common problem, just move the cable end a bit with a tool (screwdriver tip?), to the center of the hole. It went in the hole once, it will come out again...nice looking bike...

R68

Post by R68 »

...oh, and you lost the little tab on the cover that seats the cover properly on the carb...common problem...

fossilfuel

Post by fossilfuel »

Thanks R68!

I tried to get it out....but I will try again. I was thinking maybe they pinched the end on after sliding the bare cable thru.

I know about the little missing piece--- probably one of the other previous owners (over the last 56 years lol) lost it. Trolling around parts sources, I don't see those locking bits for sale...? The top seems to be pretty snug from rotating when it is screwed down.

The bike is an old gal, she will never be a show bike, but I have wanted one for at least 30 years and feel lucky to have one at all give how prices have gone bonkers :-)

-mark (austin, tx)

R68

Post by R68 »

...it will definitely come through the cover hole: just talk nice to it!..
You don't need the tab if you realize it's just to index the cover to the correct place on the carb: you can see where the tab broke off, and the slot in the carb where it should fit...

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I think we've had a tech article in the Classic Motorräder about fixing a situation where the nub has been broken off.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Worleybird89

Post by Worleybird89 »

Really glad this thread was resurrected! After reading all of it, and the Duane Ausherman page, I am going to take another crack at the carbs on both my bikes. The closest shops (that work on vintage BMWs) are over an hour and a half away, and have such a long backlog, that I can't even drop the bikes off yet! I am relieved to learn that others have had the same frustrations with these Bings that I have, yet all hope is not lost.
David Worley
'62 R27, '67 R60/2 w/Steib S500 Sidecar
College Station, TX
USA

Goro F

Post by Goro F »

I read this thread with great interest, trying to learn the correct way to tune my bike (r51/2). I understand that Duane Ausherman's method can be applied and it is the recommended one.

sorry for the stupid question at this point: why it is no mentioned also to check the spark plugs after tuning the carburettors? if the spark plugs appearance suggest a non optimal mixture, adjustment of air screw should be done accordingly i assume. Am I wrong?