If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

R69 ignition retard lever / correct magneto

Starklint

R69 ignition retard lever / correct magneto

Post by Starklint »

Hi all,

I just bought the correct ignition retard lever handle for my R69 and I was wondering if my current "standard" magneto is the right one? And how do I install the ignition retard lever on the mag? I find it hard to find any visual illustration of this.

Should I just stick to "visual correctness" and just install the handle and let the cable run down to the mag and leave the it uninstalled on the mag?

Can anyone enlighten me on the subject? :D

Starklint

Re: R69 ignition retard lever / correct magneto

Post by Starklint »

I saw this at S.Meyer and the mag seems different than the one I have installed.

https://www.meyer-bikes.de/index.php?pa ... rt=8004027

sherman980

Post by sherman980 »

Don't know what mag you have installed, but the one in the pic from S. Meyer is the correct mag for R68 and early R69 with "adjustable" advance (or retard depending on your point of view). If you have the correct mag assembly, installation of the cable is obvious. If you have the later "non-movable" type (a common mod), there is simply nowhere for the cable to connect to.

Chuck S.
Thanks.
Chuck S

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Starklint-
The magneto unit on the R69 is unique to the R68 and R69 only, while all the other models (R50-R69S) share a standard magneto that has no manual advance mechanism.

The picture in the S.Meyer link you supplied is the 68-69 model mag unit; S.Meyer also have a pic of the standard R50-R69S mag, so you can compare the two, and the standard mag retrofits to the 68-69.

If you are asking how to install this combo lever/points plate on the face of the mag body, it is retained by two screws/springs at the same location as the screws that hold the points plate on the standard mag, (at 5 and 11 o'clock) and by the retaining plate/screw that are at the right edge of the mag, oriented vertically, alongside the retained cable spring. (in the location occupied by the condenser on the standard mag)

If you were asking how to install the handlebar mag lever, it is held in place simply by a screw/washer/spring directly to the handlebar control.

Many of us who are riding the R69 disable the manual advance at the cable to mag connection, while retaining the handlebar lever to cable connection.
The mag connection is disabled for two reasons; first- the quality of today's gasoline is consistent enough to no longer need to adjust the timing on the fly, and second- the possibility of someone disturbing the setting at the handlebar lever, and the mechanism not returning to its original position, (for lack of use) and the points plate then remaining at an incorrect timing location.
The handlebar connection is retained simply for esthetics.
Best-
George

Starklint

Post by Starklint »

Flx48 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:56 pm
Hi Starklint-
The magneto unit on the R69 is unique to the R68 and R69 only, while all the other models (R50-R69S) share a standard magneto that has no manual advance mechanism.
This is the one I have installed at the moment. Guess mine is the standard magneto with no advance mechanism?

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Yes-
Yours looks like the mag on most /2 bikes, so no worries about finding unobtainium pieces for the 68/69 mag.
It looks to be in good shape, clean, like perhaps its been recently serviced.
Best-
George

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Looks like the advance spring on the right side is 11mm not the 9mm shorter spring
Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

xackley

Post by xackley »

Starklint

Where did you find the retard lever.
Mine has been busted for 40 years.

Thank you
Don
1958 R69, 1972 R75/5, 1980 XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 guzzi ev, 2017 guzzi V7!!!
All on the road, going no where in particular in the Finger Lakes of New York

mark smith

Post by mark smith »

Hi Guys,
I have a 1960 R69
I am I am removing the retard Magneto Plate for a Normal one.I want to leave the original look with the Lever.What are you doing to attach the cable inside the case so it just doesn't dangle around in there?
any help appreciated.
1960 R69
2008 R1200RT
So.Oregon

xackley

Post by xackley »

Just cut it if you don't see an easy way of securing it.
I have the correct magneto, but never actually used the retard lever. It is not really necessary. And adjusting the spark with the spark retard mechanism can be a bit tricky.
Back in the early 80s I busted my original lever riding through the woods. Finally bought a new one 2 years ago, found the cable didn't want to move. Oh well, I just wanted the pretty lever back on the controls. Someday I will get it to work as designed, if I ever have to mess with the points.
Don
1958 R69, 1972 R75/5, 1980 XS650, 1982 GL1100, 2003 guzzi ev, 2017 guzzi V7!!!
All on the road, going no where in particular in the Finger Lakes of New York