If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Gas tanks from India

miller6997

Gas tanks from India

Post by miller6997 »

I've noticed that a large number of BMW gas tanks, including the 6 gal sport version, have turned up on eBay recently--at a fraction of the cost of surviving original tanks. Does anyone here know anything about the quality of these repops? (I have a good original and am not shopping, but I am curious.)

Here's just one of several: https://www.ebay.com/itm/384252098930?h ... SwqJJfYcHC
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

schrader7032

Re: Gas tanks from India

Post by schrader7032 »

One recent thread on tanks from India:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16642&p=75948
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Grant R26

Re: Gas tanks from India

Post by Grant R26 »

Hi Jon
I have purchased several Norton tanks from India. After a couple disappointments, I got two really good tanks from them.

Lately, I've seen that there are a number of Indian sources of various BMW tanks too.

My experience was that if I simply ordered from the eBay posting...they inevitably sent the wrong item or it had defects.

So I changed my strategy later in the process; once I had chosen a vendor on eBay, I emailed them or messaged them through the eBay system with a question or two. If the response to my email was not helpful, I switched vendors. I gather that there are perhaps 2 or 3 main makers of tanks and perhaps 4 or 5 vendors: some in India and some are resellers in the UK.

That dialogue seemed to elevate me from a faceless buyer in a far-off land, to a valued customer. I found that with any of my orders from India, that a couple polite back-and-forth emails lead to a vendor who was much more eager to please.

Note...one odd thing is that emulate the old red-lead, tank lining paint that was in the tanks in the days gone by. But it seems that current paint used is just normal red primer which seems to dissolve in the first tank of gas.

You might ask if they can line your tank with true, Red-Lead paint. Red Lead is no longer legal in North America or Europe but I'm told still quite common in India. (not to be confused with the epoxy tank liner with the brand name Red Lead)

Good luck and let me know how it works out.

Grant MacNeill, The Twelfth Fret Guitar Shop, Toronto
R51/3, R26, R27, R60/2