If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Any links to color pictures of original R50/R69S?

pkrpkr

Any links to color pictures of original R50/R69S?

Post by pkrpkr »

Can anyone point me to color pictures with details of original bikes around the early sixties?

The reason I'm asking is my '65 R69S which is an older restoration that has not been done with original parts everywhere.
For instance several nuts are stainless steel and some other fasteners are painted.
I'd like to go over the bike to make it more original again. Ideally there may be color pics with details of unrestored bikes, giving more info than in Roland Slabon's or Barrington's books.
There was a topic with pics of an original bike in this forum but the links to the pictures don't work anymore.

Thanks in advance,
Peter

schrader7032

Re: Any links to color pictures of original R50/R69S?

Post by schrader7032 »

What is the other topic in the forum? Maybe we can figure out a way to resurrect the pictures.

Also check these sites:

http://www.bmbikes.co.uk/bmwphotos.htm

https://bmwdean.com/slash2.htm
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

pkrpkr

Post by pkrpkr »

Thanks Kurt! Some nice pics of unrestored ones - more welcome!

BTW hope this works as link to the topic with the broken image links: link

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

OK, I can see where some of those images are going back 15 years or so. Those URLs are no longer available as the internet moves around a lot. Some of the URLs might be found elsewhere. The ones that refer to Jeff Dean are probably somewhere in the link to his website that I gave before.
Kurt in S.A.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Well, I'm afraid that most of those old links are gone...going to be hard to track them down. But I did go back to the link that you provided:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5171&start=20

and made a few changes principally to update the references to Jeff Dean's website.

Allan Atherton had a website that is now unreachable, so his links don't work. There is one way to see some of what he had and that is with the Web Archive which is at http://web.archive.org/ . If you go to that address and search the root of Allan's URL - http://home.insightbb.com/~aatherton/ - you will find snapshots of his website going back in time. Poke around there and you'll find snapshots over various years and if you're lucky, clicking on one of them might take you to an archived website where you can see some pictures. It's not complete and the archive might not be around forever, but it's something for now.
Kurt in S.A.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

The Barrington book has a pretty comprehensive list of what all the fasteners' finish should be. It's pretty accurate for the /2 bikes, not so much for the '55-'60 models. If you have a lot of stainless, you will have a long search looking for original hardware. Guys out there have a lot of it squirreled away, but rarely part with much of it.

Dave
Dave

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

First, I must thank Kurt for his tireless effort of tracking things down for the forum.

Second, I have an all original 1966 R50/2 with 2,000 original miles on it. I have taken a slew of pictures and would be happy to share.

I will need to make them smaller to post here or can email large ones if you are interested. Private message me your email.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

pkrpkr

Post by pkrpkr »

jwonder wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:16 am
Private message me your email.
Done James and thanks!
Peter

pkrpkr

Post by pkrpkr »

Daves79x wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:57 am
If you have a lot of stainless, you will have a long search looking for original hardware. Guys out there have a lot of it squirreled away, but rarely part with much of it.
Thanks Dave, went through the exercise with my R12 - took 3 years and studying in the old DIN booklets. With the /2s it's a bit easier because the pictures of original bikes are not all black and white :-)

pkrpkr

Post by pkrpkr »

jwonder wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:16 am
I will need to make them smaller to post here or can email large ones if you are interested. Private message me your email.
Hello James, it looks like something went wrong sending you a PM so I've tried again today. Can you let me know please if the message received you? Thanks, Peter