If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Good value, or...?

miller6997

Good value, or...?

Post by miller6997 »

Someone just paid over $7000 for this disassembled R50/2 (ebay link below). It has some reconditioned parts, but even assuming it's all there, that price strikes me as excessive, The numbers shown in the photos seem to match, although at one point the listing says that the engine and frame are a mismatch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/304027456035?s ... true&rt=nc

Good for the seller, maybe not so good for the buyer?
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

schrader7032

Re: Good value, or...?

Post by schrader7032 »

The bike is more likely a 1964 model.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

The buyer will have north of $20K in it, and unless the finished bike is flawless, might be worth $15K. It would be a nice project for $2500. That's what I paid a few years ago for my basket R50. Times have changed though.

Dave
Dave

FL54

Post by FL54 »

I recently passed on a complete, running R60 at a local auction. I had set a value in my mind at $7k and didn’t exceed that. It wasn’t pristine but I felt that I would put more money into it than it was worth.
However, if you hold onto something long enough it will appreciate, given the way we’re printing money these days.
Central Oregon

weh8127

Post by weh8127 »

I once knew an individual who collected pre-war Colts. I think he had as complete a collection as possible for a private collector. i.e. anything he didn't have was so rare that all examples were known and accounted for. He told me, "You can't pay too much, you can only sell too soon."

A full restoration on a /2 costs what it costs regardless what you pay initially, and their value is rising faster than the rate of inflation, so only you can say if it was worth it. We're hobbyists and tend to hang onto stuff rather than buy and sell. Still, its nice to know our heirs will have something of value. That's what my Colt friend said his collection was for.

Bill Husted
Barre, MA
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

dosgatos

Post by dosgatos »

I watched this auction too, and was surprised by what it achieved. For comparison: In 2016 I bought a non-running 1967 R60/2 for $5,000, which I thought was a lot of money at the time. I completely disassembled the bike and totally rebuild it. When all done I was into it for a total of $10,775, not including my labor. I figure the bike is worth about $12,000 today.

FL54

Post by FL54 »

weh8127 wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:08 am
I once knew an individual who collected pre-war Colts. I think he had as complete a collection as possible for a private collector. i.e. anything he didn't have was so rare that all examples were known and accounted for. He told me, "You can't pay too much, you can only sell too soon."

A full restoration on a /2 costs what it costs regardless what you pay initially, and their value is rising faster than the rate of inflation, so only you can say if it was worth it. We're hobbyists and tend to hang onto stuff rather than buy and sell. Still, its nice to know our heirs will have something of value. That's what my Colt friend said his collection was for.

Bill Husted
Barre, MA
I’ll have to remember that line. I keep telling my wife that my bikes are “investments “ as they’ve all appreciated since purchased. Not sure she’s buying it though.
Central Oregon

Cliff

Post by Cliff »

It's because it said "barn find" in the ad. If my bike was in the condition I found it after sitting for almost 20 years It would probably be worth so much more than it is now :)
Attachments
r50us.jpg