If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Rear Wheel Removal

sign216

Rear Wheel Removal

Post by sign216 »

I'm putting my old '58 R50 back on the road, after a 20 yr break, and it needs new tires.

The rear axle is tight. I started removing it, but it's a *&^%$. Tapping it out from the right side w a wood block and hammer works a little, but before I break anything, I'd like to ask for some tips. Is this normal?

Joe

P. S. The old Clymer manual I'm using is not entirely complete on this point (and others).

strichzwei

Re: Rear Wheel Removal

Post by strichzwei »

It should not be that difficult to remove after loosening the pinch bolt you should be able to twist it out. It also could be bent, might want to read this article from Duane Ausherman https://w6rec.com/2-axle-installation/
S

sign216

Post by sign216 »

I read Duane's article. I'm hoping the axle isn't bent, but merely held up by scale on the surface and 20 years of age. At that time I had the tires replaced by a BMW dealer (Dunbar of Brockton, MA) and I'd like to think they did it w care.

Joe

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I'd make use of some kind of penetrant such as AeroKroil. Let it soak, move things around some, reapply as needed. I wouldn't be worried too much about the shoes inside...it's more important to get the axle out and figure out why it is so tight.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

sign216

Post by sign216 »

Kurt, thanks for the idea. I've got some Kroil, I'll let it sit overnight.

Joe

sign216

Post by sign216 »

I drove it out w a wood dowel and a light hammer. After I clean it up, I'll check the axle's trueness on a glass plate.

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Don't just loosen the clamping bolt #15, remove it and take a large screwdriver and spreed the axle housing out slightly to free up the axle and then with a drift tap the axle out

https://www.bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/p ... eel-swing/

Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

sign216

Post by sign216 »

Thanks Tommy, hope you're doing well out in Western Mass.
I'm in Dighton myself. It's by Taunton.

Joe

staggerlee

Post by staggerlee »

wa1nca wrote:
Fri May 21, 2021 8:47 am
Don't just loosen the clamping bolt #15, remove it and take a large screwdriver and spreed the axle housing out slightly to free up the axle and then with a drift tap the axle out

https://www.bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/p ... eel-swing/

Tommy
Tommy, is the frame threaded around the clamping bolt? im tapping the bolt but it wont budge. it does wiggle freely . i have tried to turn it with plyers but dont want to hurt threads if the frame is threaded. bike has been sitting 32 years.

vechorik1373

Post by vechorik1373 »

If someone in the past, removed the final drive from the swing arm, and then re installed it, without putting the axle through the swing arm and final drive before tightening the four nuts that hold the final drive to the swing arm the axle can be extremely tough to remove. You see, there is a degree of slop, between the studs of the final drive, and the holes in the swing arm. The final drive is heavy, and will droop out of alignment if one simply installs the 4 nuts and tightens them, without installing the axle first.

Try loosening (not removing, just loosening) all four nuts, and then see if the axle frees up and will come out.
Vech
Technical Adviser, Former owner, Bench Mark Works
662 312 2838 cell 9 am to 4pm CST PLEASE!