If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Restoration of the Magneto/ignition system

Micha

Restoration of the Magneto/ignition system

Post by Micha »

With your permission I am opening a new thread.
I think there is a need to make the separations between the variety of problems I am experiencing with my bike,
such as the leaking carburetor problem that I am now putting aside and interested in focusing on the problem I will describe here, especially after you commented to me about the condition of my ignition assembly. I have attached close-up photos of that ignition assembly.
Since the problem I will describe right away can come from so many factors, I decided to first make a perfect overhaul of the entire ignition assembly.
The problem is extreme & rapid overheating of the left cylinder (10-20 seconds!) and inactivity of the right cylinder.
I switched between the ignition wires and the spark plugs and the problem still exists. Valves were set for the 3rd time. Ignition timing was also checked again and again. The right spark plug (cold cylinder) gets wet as it is not burning any fuel.
I had an electric arc that jumped in the safety gap at the magneto safety system, that was treated since really on this side the gap was about 8mm, and after I pushed the wire soldered there to a range of 11mm, the problem disappeared.

What I want to know is first of all what do you think about the general condition of the complex, other than being dirty? I mean, what parts do you think I should replace here? Which to clean and return?

I was recommended to get an Emerald Isle replacement magneto, I would love to know where the best place to purchase one is in Europe (I'm from Israel)? as I'm sure shipping from the US will make the purchase impossible for me.

I also suspect the ignition advance/retard unit that I think the PO never touched, I certainly did not. It could very well be that this is the original assembly and that it was never disassembled and cleaned. Again I would love to hear your opinion: which part to buy new and which is just for cleaning and returning? After disassembly and assembly does this mechanism require any calibration? Where to buy these parts in Europe?

I also would like to replace the Allen head hex. screw that holds the complete rotor unit in place. Can I not use a standard screw with the same dimensions? It is not clear to me why its special shape is needed.

Many thanks to anyone that will express his opinion and give of his ideas.
Attachments
unnamed (16).jpg
unnamed (15).jpg
unnamed (14).jpg
unnamed (13).jpg
unnamed (12).jpg
unnamed (11).jpg
unnamed (10).jpg
unnamed (8).jpg
unnamed (7).jpg
unnamed (6).jpg
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Micha

Re: Restoration of the Magneto/ignition system

Post by Micha »

More pictures:
Attachments
unnamed (20).jpg
unnamed (19).jpg
unnamed (18).jpg
unnamed (5).jpg
unnamed (4).jpg
unnamed (3).jpg
unnamed (2).jpg
unnamed (1).jpg
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Micha

Post by Micha »

Pls see the big space between the flat metal pieces, there is a big play there. Is that how it should be?
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi Michael, sorry hear your having so many problems .. firstly the rotor you show in the last pictures is fine, yes the metal tabs on the Back which supports the inner cam are supposed to be loose as in your pictures cos when its on it all tightens up, do make sure that when your reattach the rotor you make sure that the inner notch corresponds with the shaft tip other wise the timing will all be wrong, secondly give the rotor a good wash in petrol and very lightly oil the balance weight pivots.
I would remove those very crude copper safety gap electrodes from the back plate , they've only been soldered on and you make a neater set up ,cos the original pointers are there underneath, if they are too short solder a small tab onto those instead .
Your other problem regarding the cylinder not firing ....if the plug is getting wet and the spark plug is getting a spark then it must be maybe one of the valves is either leaking or sticking , use a compression tester in the plug hole and check there is sufficient compression the make an explosion .
the carburettor leak seems very strange at the moment I don't have any suggestions that haven't already been said .I shall think on Regards Andrew

Micha

Post by Micha »

Hi Andrew,
Thanks a lot.
Any idea of where to purchase such a blue emerald magneto in EU?
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

In addition to what’s been said, you need to completely disassemble the mag body. Clean all mating surfaces. If the mag body ground is not good, you will have problems. Do you have the Barrington book? All of this is explained in detail there. Well worth the $$. What do you consider expensive to ship a coil to your country? I hear this all the time.

Dave
Dave

Micha

Post by Micha »

Dave thanks a lot.
I intend to disassemble the complete unit. I do not have that manual.
I would like to know what parts are best to be replaced.
For example, I guess the springs should be replaced, but at Salis for example, there is more than one type.
How can I know which type to purchase?
Is it a complex job to tear down the advance rotor?
Will it be need to calibrated?
Where would be best to buy the blue emerald magneto?
Info like this will be much appreciated.

Regarding shipment: Experience has taught me that shipping from the US to Israel is outrageously more expensive than shipping from the East or EU. I do not know the reason, nor is it so relevant. This is a fact unfortunately and there is not much to do about it.

Again I will appreciate every idea and info about the subjects I raised here.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

The things you are asking to be explained are quite involved to go through step by step here. You would be well served to buy the book, study it for a week or so, then most of what you are asking will be clear. After that, very specific questions for clarification can be much better addressed. Right now it’s a shotgun approach.

Dave
Dave

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

One thing I forgot - you MUST get rid of those copper safety wires. They are causing you all kinds of problems.

Dave
Dave

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

As for the Emerald Isle coil, I believe this is a Thailand produced product from what I could tell when googling it. There must be other distributors but I checked Mark Huggett as well as Motobins and couldn't find it on their sites.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.