If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Bike for sale

butch housman

Bike for sale

Post by butch housman »

Hello
Long time member, long time gone.
After 22 yrs & abt $20k I think it's time to call the old bike done & sell it.....never really thought I'd do that but my declining health is getting in the way.
It's a 1968 R69US. It has been totally stripped down & rebuilt by an array of "experts" both good & poor & is now in excellent road worthy condition. Vetch did much of the work & supplied many, many new parts. The bike is in 100% original condition if u don't count air horns & a driving light. Criss Chambers did the bottom end & cylinders. All nuts, bolts, fasteners etc. were re cad plated (twice, 1st job was bad).
I bought the bike in 1970 w/ 672 miles on it & have had it ever since. I saved all the original paperwork & receipts in an envelope that was lost during a move. Much of what I am saying could be verified but unfortunately I can't provide complete provenance in one package anymore.
So...how much? That's the big question in my mind. What kind of money can I reasonably expect to get from the bike?
To contact me directly please email to gofastwildblue.net or call 606-549-0110
Tnx & remember...Look both ways TWICE! (Important tip)
Butch
Attachments
DSC_6666.jpg
DSC_6659.jpg

butch housman

Re: Bike for sale

Post by butch housman »

P.S.
Original paint on tank & finders, w/ some touch up behind battery box. Original oil pump driven tach.

butch housman

Post by butch housman »

Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

You might look for comparables sold on bringatrailer.com. You might even put your bike up for auction there. Prices lately seem to me have gone crazy high there for /2s in top condition. Good luck.
Lincoln--Ann Arbor & Taos
1967 R69S, original owner; 1978 R100S; 2001 R1150GS; 2002 R1150RT

butch housman

Post by butch housman »

Tnx for the calls & suggestions. I've been to the BaT site & what I've seen is abt what I expected. I've always thought putting a tractor seat on these bikes & calling them "Vintage"was an odd thing to do & do not understand how that increases their desirability. Beauty is in in the eye of the beholder no doubt. It's also interesting how they accumulate chrome air cleaners & polished front covers but have rust between the cylinder fins lol.
I do believe I'll make a serious effort to sell the bike. It would really hurt my feelings to get less for it than the cost of parts & services that I have in it but we all know that's a common story in these matters. $20k will be the bottom dollar. True, it's not a REAL BMW (no Earles fork lol) but only those who have ridden a PROPERLY set up US fork model will appreciate the difference.
After 52 yrs of ownership & many blizzards & winter rides & a few 1000 mile days this will be hard to do but the old bike is NOT a museum piece. It's a 100% original rebuild of a 100% original bike & deserves to be ridden by some healthy specimen who will, hopefully, get the same kinda feelings from it as I did in my prime.
I'm gonna take the $$ & buy a crotch rocket (w/ 'lectrik start). I don't plan on living to be 90 & the clock is ticking.
Thank u for the interest & advice.
b
Attachments
mesmall_2305.JPG

butch housman

Post by butch housman »

check this out
taken in L.A. 1st yr i had the bike maybe. Taken for a school advertising project "Going Places"...too bad he cropped the tail off!
I don't know what grade he got lol
Attachments
DSCF5604.jpg

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Very cool period photo. Thanks for sharing
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire