If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Handlebar risers

Slash2

Handlebar risers

Post by Slash2 »

Hello all. I have a very nice set of chrome risers that I’d like to install with a set of US handlebars on my ‘66 R69S. I’m curious what sort of luck you’ve had “opening” these risers up to accept the handlebar?

I’ve seen plenty of cracked and damaged risers for sale and I’d rather run the euro bar if that’s what I’m dealing with.

I would think heat and slow steady force would work but just don’t want to run the risk of damaging the chrome.

Thanks!
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

weh8127

Re: Handlebar risers

Post by weh8127 »

I've done it with heat, but not with real nice ones; I think you would damage the chrome plate. I don't think its possible with SS reproductions. I think Vech has new bars with the clamps already on them.

Bill
Bill Husted
Barre, MA USA
1963 R60/2 w/ 1955 Steib S500
1973 R75/5

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I read what Vech has said in the past...even Duane Ausherman. Both basically say to do it slowly and only as much as needed. If working with original parts, the wrinkling will go away once the part is returned to normal shape. Vech says he uses some nuts on threaded stems to open/close the riser.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

MikeL46

Post by MikeL46 »

Another option:

Cut the bars apart right in the middle of where the risers will be. Grind away space for the weld. Install the risers and weld the bars back together. Grind as needed and bolt it all together. The risers will hide the welds.

Mike
67 R50/2 w/R100 engine/trans and Ural Sidecar
69 R60/2 76 R90S 78 R100RS
70 Triumph w/Spirit Eagle Sidecar

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

I managed to spread the risers very carefully (without heat) without damaging the chrome. I was advised not to try this with stainless risers.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Slash2

Post by Slash2 »

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Jon, can you give a bit more detail as to how you “carefully” opened them? I’m on the fence there. I like the US bar and have two R69S with euro bars so it made sense to run one with the high bar.

Feels a bit like rolling the dice and I’m not much for gambling.
Western Pennsylvanian - Airhead Extraordinaire

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

It's been at least fifteen years since I installed my bars, but here is my memory of what I did: I put a big nut on the mounting post and clamped the riser in the vise. Then I used a long, heavy, flat-bladed screw driver to spread the riser, a small tweak at a time until it was wide enough to accept the bar. Seems primitive and risky, and it made me nervous, but they are still in place with no sign of rust or chrome damage. My risers were OEM, not re-chromed or aftermarket. As I recall, it was Tim Stafford who advises that spreading re-chromed risers is a losing proposition.

(On a separate note, Danny Vu, an eBay seller of polished stainless parts, also says not to try to spread stainless risers because the riser itself is likely to break.)
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Grant R26

Post by Grant R26 »

Hi Slash 2
I've done this a few times and it always gives me the willies. But it always has worked for me without cracks.

I open them up using a go-bar or metal rod that fits the upper hole fairly tight then pull back towards the tank to gently open them up while maintaining a smooth radius. Just prying them open often causes them to bend more quickly in one part of the radius but with a rod you can apply some "english" to the pulling action and smooth out the radius and rate of opening.

I open up until nearly large enough to pass the old bar and then pop it through. Logic being; why open any further than needs be? I protect the new bar with thin electrical tape to slide through the tight gap when I fit the new bars. Then slowly close them up with first the go-bar rod then finish with the bolt once the holes align. Whew...the willies I tell ya !

I did buy a used set of risers once that had been freshly re-chromed in the opened-up position. The chrome completely crazed as I closed up the risers; became a solid ring of tiny cracks: I assume that if you re-chrome, they must be re-chromed in the closed position as chrome has poor elasticity.

Good luck!
Grant in Toronto