If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

1969 R69US

usgeese

1969 R69US

Post by usgeese »

The bike I just purchased had a wind fairing on it that I removed. One of the brackets of the fairing attached to the bottom fork bracket at the pinch bolt for the fork. When I went to put the nut back on and it started getting snug it just spun. So I am assuming that the stud is spinning as well. I couldn’t see it move because I was using a socket but will go back and try with an open end wrench. Looking at the parts diagram the stud is threaded at both ends. So my question is do I just use a pair of vise grips and remove the old one and then install the new one? Or is there some other trick that I should try first?

schrader7032

Re: 1969 R69US

Post by schrader7032 »

Welcome to the forum! Can you point to something on this fiche that is the problem?

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/partgr ... g=31&sg=42

Or maybe you can upload a picture of the specific bolt.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

usgeese

Post by usgeese »

The part is number 23 of the fork bridge picture. On the Mac BMW Fischer page it shows it as being threaded at both ends. No idea if they are the same thread and the same twist direction

usgeese

Post by usgeese »

Sorry I should have proof read that...Max BMW parts fische page

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

The fiche says it is an M8x25 stud-bolt...the 25 means it's about an inch long. It appears that the internal threads have let loose, likely they have stripped the aluminum. You can try and unscrew the stud-bolt and assess what comes out. If you see slivers of aluminum on the threads, that means it's been stripped. If it looks clean, you might be lucky to get a new part and thread it in with some Loctite on the threads to hold it. If not, I'm not sure this is a place for Timesert of Helicoil...I don't think there's much meat to work with on the lower yoke. It's important this pinch bolt be tight again to stabilize the steering geometry.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

usgeese

Post by usgeese »

Thank you Kurt. I am not home right now but when I get home next week I will check it out.