If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

How do I make my solo saddle look new again ?

Grant R26

How do I make my solo saddle look new again ?

Post by Grant R26 »

My Pagusa and Denfeld saddles get a white-ish, powdery look about them.

Now, back in the hazy mists of time, I was told me about a product...something common around the workshop; a hand cleaner ? silicone grease ? Brake fluid ?

I can't put my finger on what it was BUT I do recall that it worked a treat and made these hazy saddles look new again.

I've tried random things around the shop but no luck so far. I suppose that Armor All could work but it makes the saddle too slippery.

Can somebody kindly advise me on a way to clean up my saddles?

Grant MacNeill, The Twelfth Fret Guitar Shop, Toronto

Now that posting about the Cream of Tartar cut with vinegar is a great trick for aluminum....thanks for that post !

miller6997

Re: How do I make my solo saddle look new again ?

Post by miller6997 »

I use Rubber Care, a spray-on treatment that I use for all the rubber parts on two cars and two motorcycles. It keeps the rubber supple and I haven't noticed any slipperiness. You could also try Zymol, which is also very good but more expensive.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Grant R26

Post by Grant R26 »

Thanks John, it may or may not be available in Canada but i not, no doubt it is still offered under a different brand
could you tell me what what chains offer it in the USA ?
thanks
Grant

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

This may be it sold on Amazon
John can confirm
Looks good will try it

https://www.amazon.com/Dressing-Protect ... 402&sr=8-5

Tommy
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

Hi , I use silicon grease available at plumber merchants it’s thick and clear , sparingly rub a small amount onto to rubber, leave to soak in , them rub off any surplus ... it’s also recommended by my Mazda owners club ( miata/ MX5) for all the rubber seals to stop them cracking and keeping them weather proof etc . Works for me Andrew

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

Yes, the link provided by Tommy is the correct one.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

It's called rubber Bloom and it seems to happen when oils naturally locked in the rubber come out over time. It's limited to natural rubber. It actually helps the rubber with cracking and dry rot over time, it's always good to see. Bad things to see are cracks, shrinkage, and matte appearance.

You can just wipe it off with a rag, or use some soap and water, or use a rubber preservative and cleaner like Armor All or anything used for tires, etc. I have an original Denfeld seat from 69 (original to my bike) and after about 20 years it forms a very glossy surface, as long as it's well cared for. The white bloom is usually found on newer products.
1969 r60/2, 1972 r75/5, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Ducati 750 GT, 1966 Honda 450 Black Bomber, 1965 Honda Superhawk, 1971 Honda CB 750

San Francisco, CA

palica

Post by palica »

I am using Armor All that I buy at Canadian tire and it is cheap and efficient.
You can leave it on your saddle overnight and wipe out the product that has not been absorbed and it is almost magical.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/armo ... p.html#srp
1967 R50/2 with Duna sidecar
1974 R90S

Grant R26

Post by Grant R26 »

Thanks Guys.
I will try the Rubber care and the silicone grease ideas and see how they work.

Armour All in the pump spray bottles does look terrific but I don't like any aerosol droplets with silicone floating around my shop as is plays havoc with any finish work..fisheyes can be a nightmare.

thanks for the input.
Grant MacNeill, the Twelfth Fret Guitar Shop, Toronto
R51/3, R26, R27, R60/2, Norton ES2, 85 K100

Grant R26

Post by Grant R26 »

Hello Jon Miller
thanks for the tip ! Turns out that Aircraft Spruce in Canada offers it. I already do business with them as they are my source for AFC-50 anti-corrosion spray. Great stuff to have if you keep any bikes near the ocean. I spray down my bikes in Nova Scotia before the winter storms blow through and it washes off with soap and water. Aircraft mechanics spray it inside the wings and over all wiring and metal parts

They have the Rubber Care in stock and knowing how thoroughly Aircraft Spruce services the aircraft and helicopter industry...I am sure it will be my best option.

Thanks for the help
Regards
Grant MacNeill