If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Non Vented Final Drive on my ‘55 R50

flyingtpot

Re: Non Vented Final Drive on my ‘55 R50

Post by flyingtpot »

Recommended that you do it Mal. For you, it is a straightforward design item. The time to do the mod is definitely best when the housing is 'empty'.
malmac wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:49 am
gray7252 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:55 pm
I may have what flyingtpot is referring (or it's a custom job). I have a 1956 R69 where the final drive has had a vent added by previous owner. Body of 'vent' is aluminum, and the vent hole is about 1/16" dia. I grabbed a piece of wire and stripped it back about 2.5" and fed it into the hole, and it appears to go all they way straight through.

The main drive casting looks like it had a flat (slight counterbore) machined into it for this to sit flat.
What an interesting post. The photos are good and the idea quite achievable.
You have me thinking, as I have a non vented final drive that is ready to be rebuilt with all new bearings and seal.

Thanks.

Mal

flyingtpot

Post by flyingtpot »

The key is a small through hole and a 'reservoir' type design.

Having done both types (fill plug and top of housing) of these design mods, my preference is the top of the housing. The gear oil level is than the furthest distance from the vent hole.
Bikesmith01 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:36 pm
It's a pretty straightforward job. I made a very small (about 1.5mm) hole from the inside of the plug through to the outside, then enlarged it only part of the way through from the outside. So any oil that comes through the 1.5mm hole will hopefully collect in the 'reservoir' inside the plug. Then I brazed in the vent plug.
Once I get the bike back up and running I'll follow up to let you know if it works. If not, I still have undrilled plugs :lol:

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

This one looks promising if my version isn't as successful as I anticipate it to be.

https://www.kartgeneration.it/gb/kart-s ... &results=1
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

malmac

Post by malmac »

flyingtpot wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:59 pm
Recommended that you do it Mal. For you, it is a straightforward design item. The time to do the mod is definitely best when the housing is 'empty'.
malmac wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:49 am
gray7252 wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:55 pm
I may have what flyingtpot is referring (or it's a custom job). I have a 1956 R69 where the final drive has had a vent added by previous owner. Body of 'vent' is aluminum, and the vent hole is about 1/16" dia. I grabbed a piece of wire and stripped it back about 2.5" and fed it into the hole, and it appears to go all they way straight through.

The main drive casting looks like it had a flat (slight counterbore) machined into it for this to sit flat.
What an interesting post. The photos are good and the idea quite achievable.
You have me thinking, as I have a non vented final drive that is ready to be rebuilt with all new bearings and seal.

Thanks.

Mal
Yes I will give it some thought. It is just I have some other projects which have to come first. The next one is building the frame for my son's K1100 to mount his side car. He has a K100 with sidecar but the frame on the 1100 ends up being different so we need to make a whole different framework.

So the vented diff housing will have to wait in line.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

So I am really starting to feel confident the vented plug will work. With no fill plug installed at all, and 150cc's of oil in the FD, I put a 22mm socket on my hand drill and ran the FD at full speed of the drill. Not one drop came up to the opening.
Chris

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Quick, write BMW with the idea! :lol: I'm sure they thought of that and it was a much simpler design that altering the final drive housing. But then I'm sure they were concerned about the oil level being so near the plug and they didn't want a lawsuit on their hands.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

Not there yet ... likely needs a larger reservoir. Just did a little test ride and the first couple of stop and checks had me smiling. One after a short little freeway jaunt had a dribble. Thinking of adding a couple of baffles and a taller stack. Not ready to give up on the vented fill plug yet ;)

Edit to add that this looks like it may be the ultimate answer https://bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/index ... -dome.html
Chris

flyingtpot

Post by flyingtpot »

Check out some of Lowell Neff's (Neff's Engineering) K-bike sidecar machines. They are well thought out and executed sidecar designs.

[/quote]

Yes I will give it some thought. It is just I have some other projects which have to come first. The next one is building the frame for my son's K1100 to mount his side car. He has a K100 with sidecar but the frame on the 1100 ends up being different so we need to make a whole different framework.

So the vented diff housing will have to wait in line.

Mal
[/quote]

flyingtpot

Post by flyingtpot »

As a one-off idea, the vented filler plug is acceptable.

When these machines were designed, BMW would not allow a service item like a filler plug serve as the production FD vent design. For BMW, designing the FD with a housing having a top mounted vent was trivial on this series machine.

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

Flyingtpot, I don't know why I didn't follow up with you when you said you had tried the 9:00 and 12:00 locations and had a preference. I sent you a PM asking for the benefit of your experience and some advice.
Chris
Chris