If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Borrani Wheel Rim R60

Mattfitz

Borrani Wheel Rim R60

Post by Mattfitz »

Hi, my 1960 R 60 has an aluminium Borrani WM3 18” front wheel rim. It shows a record number of 4450. The rear rim is a standard looking chrome rim and is completely rusted. I want to replace it with a similar rim that I have up front. I want to buy used so as to match them up somewhat. I have found some on E Bay. They are WM3 but have different record numbers to mine. One has 4403 and the other has 4607 as their numbers. Will the suit my wheel hub...?
I have attached some photos of my front wheel. Any help would be greatly appreciated from this complete novice / newbie.
Matt

schrader7032

Re: Borrani Wheel Rim R60

Post by schrader7032 »

What does the record number signify? The WM3 is the profile and should signify 2.15" width. You're probably running 18" tires front and rear.

I noticed Buchanan Spokes has Borrani rims for sale, but the WM3 are shows as 36H and 40H. Not sure what that means either.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

sorbo1

Post by sorbo1 »

Hi
Suggest you contact Buchanan's in California . They have supplied me with a drilled alloy rim for my R69s when I fitted a disc brake front end on it . They supplied the drilled rim and spokes . Be very careful buying s/h rims as you don't know what they have been drilled to suit in the past .It could have been drilled to suit a totally different size hub .The total cost in 2012 was $ 340.00 . The rims they use are Sun rims from japan and look identical to the original BMW alloy rims .Hope this is of some help .

palica

Post by palica »

schrader7032 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:37 am
I noticed Buchanan Spokes has Borrani rims for sale, but the WM3 are shows as 36H and 40H. Not sure what that means either.
36 and 40 are the qty of spokes.
1967 R50/2 with Duna sidecar
1974 R90S

Mattfitz

Post by Mattfitz »

Hi, thanks for taking the time to reply...Matt

oligee7275

Post by oligee7275 »

Matt,
To add to what Sorbo and Kurt and others here have said.
Just any Borrani rim won't fit your bike (properly). "Record" is Borrani"s model name, if you will, of the rim. It has nothing to do with records or recording anything.
The WM3 is a 2.15 inch wide rim, and the "18" means just as you would think, an 18 inch rim. A 40 or 36 would indicate the number of spoke holes that are drilled.
Here is where it gets tricky. The 4450, 4403, 4607 etc. are code numbers that Borrani used to identify the motorcycle manufacturer that the rim was going to be sent to for mounting on their bikes. I know that 4777 was for Ducati. 4446 and others for Laverda etc.
To get trickier, the different code numbers also indicated whether the rim would be laced to a drum brake hub or a disc brake hub, or whether there was to be hub/rim offset, meaning that the holes drilled in the dimples would have different angles and hole sizes to accommodate the corresponding spokes.
Used rims for which you don't know what they fit are a bad idea. You should call Buchanon and acquire the proper rim for your bike. A used rim with ill fitting spokes leads to broken spokes or worse, a wrecked bike and injury.
Buchanon will use a blank (undrilled) rim with the correct number dimples and drill it to match the hubs on your bike.
Check with them to see if they can stamp the rim with the correct mfg codes.
Hope this helps,
Dean

Mattfitz

Post by Mattfitz »

Hi Dean..thanks a lot for your reply. Reading what you have said makes me think that to follow up on a used rim would be a bad idea. I live here in Ireland. All of the parts that I will need will come from Germany or the Netherlands. The bike I am going to restore and put back on the road has sat in a shed since 1975 without being moved once so I have plenty work ahead of me. I will buy a new rim from one of the suppliers. Again thanks for your reply and I hope you stay safe in these very strange times...Matt

oligee7275

Post by oligee7275 »

Matt,
Being so focused on Borrani I failed to address the actual issue you are having seeking rims for you bike.
The Borrani rim isn't correct for your bike and was never used from the factory. The correct aluminum rim for your bike would be a Weinmann and will difficult to locate unless you find someone parting out a R bike. The chrome rear rim on your bike is most likely original to your bike.
Rather than quote from Duane's info here I'll post links to his pages that have a lot of info on BMW rims. And most other things BMW.
https://w6rec.com/weinmann-hilow-lip-ri ... torcycles/
With all of this said you would still be wise to contact someone there in Europe or here at Buchanon for rims for your bike or search for someone parting out a bike with good usable rims. If this will not be a concours restoration new Borrani rims would be a nice addition.
Let us here know how it goes. You have a journey ahead of you.