If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Slinger service cost

redavide

Slinger service cost

Post by redavide »

My R69 is at Max BMW in Connecticut for a few things and I inquired about the price of slinger service.

They quoted me $4000 - $9600, depending on what they found once they opened her up. In other words, $4000 if everything else was fine and slinger just needed cleaning . . . .

Any thoughts on this estimate?

Thanks

schrader7032

Re: Slinger service cost

Post by schrader7032 »

Are they going to paint the bike and put new tires on it?? :shock: I'd say you probably should drop a zero off of those numbers.

I had my R69S done 15 years ago and paid about $1500 and that even included head and cylinder work. I did unbolt everything down to just the engine but no electrics and hand carried it to my mechanic. About 10 years ago, I did the same thing with my R25/2 and took the engine less electrics to Vech. Only one cylinder (!!) and had the engine overhauled, upgraded to include a timing chain tensioner, head/cylinder work and it was a little over $2000.

Those numbers you got seem out of whack to me. And typically one should replace all internals just because you never know...it takes so much to get there, why not.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

redavide

Post by redavide »

"And typically one should replace all internals just because you never know...it takes so much to get there, why not."

I agree -- and that would put it at the high end of the estimate - $9600 . . . . Gulp! :o

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Another thread on slingers and costs:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12904&p=27740
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

CWRoady

Post by CWRoady »

I'm with Kurt. I had new slingers, bearings and seals installed at Irv Seavers BMW in SoCal 6 months ago for $1100. I took the motor in partially disassembled like this (heads, cylinders, pistons removed). No clue what it would have cost if I rode the bike in and dropped it off, if that is the type of service you are getting a quote for. (sorry about the rotated pic, click on it and it aligns correctly)
Attachments
F5E34858-5065-47D1-9298-BB8AA34DAEB7.jpeg
Chris
1955 R50 / 1973 R75/5 / 1974 R90/6 Hack / 2015 RT
Yard Art 1968 +/- Hodaka & SACHS

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

I took my engine to Ted Porter in Santa Cruz for slinger service when it had under 60,000 miles. It's been a while, but I think it was around $2500, and that included some serious head work and new seals in the transmission. I also think the quotation from Max is on the high side. The $4000 is probably their minimal estimate and assumes that, aside from the slingers, the rest of the motor is basically OK. The $9600 must anticipate a complete overhaul. I think you should ask them for a detailed list of what will be included.
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

That is quit high and I am sure they will be on the high side of the estimate. There are others in the area that are more reasonable.
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

bellsonracing

Post by bellsonracing »

Bless Max BMW for posting the microfiche of so many models.
But $4k seems really high to just clean/replace the slingers.
So the top end of the estimate is proportionally high for any other work.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

$4000 in reality and from any normal way of estimating should cover a COMPLETE bottom end rebuild, including rebuilding the crank. But for today's heavy hitters in the business, it seems not. I think they want to retire on every job they do. But I get it, charge what the market will bear and there are enough guys out there with deep pockets that don't care if they're way over-paying. Kills us little guys that just want to pay a fair price for good work.

But, there are a lot of small shops that specialize in this work for reasonable prices, you just have to find them.

Dave
Dave

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

These replies all basically jive with each other-
My experience with my own, and watching others having the job done, slinger cleaning (or replacement) along with seals/gaskets seems to hover around 1000-1200.
That's with the engine sitting on the tech's bench.
And the engine not needing anything else replaced or machined. (this does happen occasionally)

Removal and replacement of the engine in the chassis is well within the skill level of the majority of /2 riders, in my experience.
If one chooses to have the tech doing the slinger job also do that part of the project, well, it will add noticeably to the overall cost.
Kinda like paying your gourmet chef to also do the dishwashing.

But from just slingers and seals, things can and do sometimes escalate.
First is the crank; it may need nothing, or a main bearing journal reclaimed, or, with bad rod bearings, a total rebuild.
Same with cam/lifters; they may be just fine, or need building up and resurfacing.
Then rings; or pistons/rings/cylinder work?
And the heads...
It depends on what you start with; beater bike, or a well maintained original, or something in-between.

And as Dave suggested, there are small shops that specialize in this work for reasonable prices.
I've been using a one-man shop here in NW CT for over 40 years, Rick Bell in Salisbury CT.
In the late 70s he was helping me maintain the R69, restore an R51/3, and was invaluable in helping me put together my first /2 conversion bike.
Two years ago he did the slingers on the same R69, as well as rebuild/reseal the trans and rear, and is soon to check out the slingers on my other R69.
So put your ear to the ground and find those competent small shops that don't have a high overhead to pay off.
Best-
George