If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

/2 Sidestand seems too short

huntmiller

/2 Sidestand seems too short

Post by huntmiller »

My 65 /2 sidestand seems like it's an inch shorter than it should be. It does have a 4.00 - 18 tire that will be replaced over the winter with a 3.50 - 18. Did they make different size original sidestands or is it normal for the bike to seem that it's leaning quite a bit? Thanks
Hunt
1965 R69s w/Wixom fairings and bags
1979 R65 w/Siebenrock 860cc, Luftmeister fairing

schrader7032

Re: /2 Sidestand seems too short

Post by schrader7032 »

The larger tire would make a difference but maybe not that much. I have a stock side stand on my R69S and I don't have a lot of confidence in it...I'm not sure how secure the stop mechanism is when it is deployed. As I remember, it did lean over quite a bit. I just use the center stand every time instead.

I checked Vech's website and see that he has a number of different "stock" side stands offered...might be worth a call to him to see what he might suggest. He does offer an aftermarket "Brown"-style side stand...this mounts in conjunction with the engine mount.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

skyler.robbins

Post by skyler.robbins »

Do you have the Flanders style?
Mine has a tad more of a lean than I like.. I only end up using it for quick stops and never start the bike with it when in use.

FL54

Post by FL54 »

When I got my R50, it had no side stand and a bolt was broken off in the frame. After much frustration and some expense, I replaced the side stand. Like Skylar, I rarely use it as it makes me nervous it leans over so far. I just use it to temporarily leave the bike to go through the man door to open the garage door.
Central Oregon

sorbo1

Post by sorbo1 »

Hi
When I restored my 1961 R69S , I replaced the stock side stand with a stainless side stand that bolts and replaces the 2 engine spaces . The beauty of this model is that it retracts automatically when you lift the bike up . In the 1950s when I bought my first R50 . I used to sometimes forget to flick the standard one up resulting in a near crash on the first left hand corner . I found that the new stand was too long . The bike sat almost vertical so I cut a couple of inches off it . Currently very happy with the angle and it performance . Hope this is of some help .

huntmiller

Post by huntmiller »

Do you have the Flanders style?
Mine has a tad more of a lean than I like.. I only end up using it for quick stops and never start the bike with it when in use.

No this is a reproduction of the Original BMW side stand. The bike came with a Flanders or Brown style that dented the frame a bit, and rubbed a hole in the Wixom pannier.
Hunt
1965 R69s w/Wixom fairings and bags
1979 R65 w/Siebenrock 860cc, Luftmeister fairing