If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Steib Spezial and TR500 fender lights?

R68

Steib Spezial and TR500 fender lights?

Post by R68 »

Is the rear light on the fender just a running light or also a brake light? Is the front light on the fender, (the one with white lens) actually wired into the harness, and a running light? Does anybody reproduce the alloy base piece for the accessory Hella "bar-end" right hand turn signal mounted on top the fender on the Spezial?

schrader7032

Re: Steib Spezial and TR500 fender lights?

Post by schrader7032 »

In my limited understanding, the electrical diagram seems to show that the front and rear lights for the car are only powered with the parking light circuit is lit. But the diagram calls the sidecar side light a "blinker" and it does appear to be tapped off the circuit that goes to the bike's right blinker. I'm probably wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

The BMW Spezial and the Steib TR500 were essentially the same s/c.

Differences included the Spezial being badged BMW instead of Steib, the Spezial having a BMW VIN plate, (similar to the one on the bike, complete with serial number) and the Spezial having Eber lights (similar to the Eber taillight on the early Earles bikes) fore and aft on the fender instead of the cobra handle with fore/aft lights as on the TR500.

Both the TR500 and the Spezial's fender lights were running lights only, red rear/white front, wired in with the bike's light circuits.
The fender has a metal channel underneath for the wiring to reach the lights, similar to the metal channel underneath the bike's rear fender.

There was no provision for running wire(s) for a turn signal, you're on your own for that, in spite of the R50/60/69S factory repair manual showing the mounting of the handlebar signal light on the top of the fender.
The earlier R50/60/69 repair manual does not show this mounting of the turn signal, leading one to ponder if the barend signals became available after the earlier manual was written, and (or) if TUV regs required turn signals sometime in the intervening years.

Succumbing to a brief urge for bling years ago, I installed a cobra handle on my Spezial fender, to augment the Eber running lights, put amber lenses front/rear of the cobra, and so had turn signals.
These days most of the bling has been removed, but the cobra handle turn signal remains.

If looking to mount the barend per the repair manual photos, and not wanting to work something out yourself, I'd suggest contacting Barrington, (of repair book fame) I'm recalling some years back they did a similar installation on a rig and may be able to help out.
Best-
George

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Like what you did with cobra handle with signal lights
Dont know where do get a base for the hella light but like the looks from the pictures I seen
Should not be to hard for a machine shop to make one out of aluminum
Mine is not original but works well
Tommy
Attachments
DSC05185.JPG
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA