If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Indian made re-pop gas tanks

jimstravlin

Indian made re-pop gas tanks

Post by jimstravlin »

I just purchased a 1955 R50 with a Schorsch Meier tank that needs more work and $$$ than I want to invest. Has anyone bought the 6.5 gal. tank made in India? What do you think? What are the positives and negatives?... Jim
www.airheadrestorations.com

Discogodfather

Re: Indian made re-pop gas tanks

Post by Discogodfather »

I did a Ducati project a few years back with a repro NCR style tank from India. Not familiar with the stuff for the BMW's but I bet its similar. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, and I had to cut a re-weld some brackets and massage some other things here and there. It's workable depending on your level of ability.

I would also pressure test the tank yourself or have a radiator shop do it for you. They usually come without any liner so that's another step of work. India does have some good welders but it's always a good idea to check.

There are still people in the US making tanks and they will charge 4 times as much but you will get something that you don't have to worry about. Or go the original route but that is also a project if restoration is required.

My theory is you have many roads but they all ultimately require the same amount of work and energy to get down.
1969 r60/2, 1972 r75/5, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Ducati 750 GT, 1966 Honda 450 Black Bomber, 1965 Honda Superhawk, 1971 Honda CB 750

San Francisco, CA

jimstravlin

Re: Indian made re-pop gas tanks

Post by jimstravlin »

Thanks for the input, that is what I thought. The photos you see differ on their site. some show the tank with outside hinges and the next, inside hinges. I am smart enough to know they don't make two different tanks.. Thanks again