If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Hard starting r69s

zimmermancamera

Hard starting r69s

Post by zimmermancamera »

Hi there,
I've got a '68 r69s that I've owned for 25 or so years and it really runs nicely.....but I occasionally have had hard starting issues with it and lately it has been worse than ever.
I have some mechanical skills but I'm stumped....Just rebuilt the motor recently and it's got about 600 miles on it.
Timing is spot on
It runs fantastic once started
Carbs are like new
Valve clearances are rite on
It has an older Powerdynamo ignition (VAPE)
When I have trouble starting her up I'll pull the plugs and confirm I have spark
Doesn't seem like she's flooded
If i'm on a hill she'll bump start,I've done this a couple of times when stranded and don't make a habit of it.
When all is rite with the world she's a first or second kick starter.
I'm stumped.
Anyone run across something like this?
Thanks
-Eric
R69s
R26
R100m/s
Ducati 750 GT
Volvo 1800es

skyler.robbins

Re: Hard starting r69s

Post by skyler.robbins »

What's your plug gap?
Compression?

zimmermancamera

compression is good,I'll check the plug gap....to be honest I just chucked new plugs in without checking.
R69s
R26
R100m/s
Ducati 750 GT
Volvo 1800es

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

What is your procedure for starting when the engine is cold? How about when hot?
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

zimmermancamera

When cold 6 dabs on the tickler on each carb and kick through once without ignition with throttle open 1/4 turn then the same with key on....usually starts first or second kick,when hot no fuel kick through once with no ignition throttle open 1/4 turn then same with ignition and usually starts first kick
R69s
R26
R100m/s
Ducati 750 GT
Volvo 1800es

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I don't think a "dab'll do you"! Sorry couldn't resist thinking about the old commercial! If you're just poking at the tickler button, you might have a lean condition for starting...not enough gas. I would recommend that you consider holding the button down for a count of say 3 or maybe 4. Then I would kick through 4-5 times...this better pulls air through the carb and brings the gas mixture into the engine. Then proceed with the 1/4 throttle...or a touch less, and kick normally. You might also kick slowly until you feel you've reach the point of compression for one cylinder or the other. Then give the kicker a good stroke. I think that will give you a better shot at getting the bike started when cold.
Kurt in S.A.

zimmermancamera

Thanks!
I'll give that a go tomorrow .
Merry Christmas!
-Eric
R69s
R26
R100m/s
Ducati 750 GT
Volvo 1800es

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

It is indeed amazing how many guys think the tickler is a 'pump'. As a general rule, the R69S tends to flood, more than be starved for fuel when starting. And when hot, this is especially true. If it does not start with slight throttle opening on one or two kicks, hold the throttle wide open and try.

Dave
Dave

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

I think Dave's thought is right...it's not a pump. What the tickler does is hold the float down so gas can pour into the bowl. And it's surprising how much it takes to refill the bowl, so holding it down for several counts is needed. With the bowl reasonably full, or maybe slightly over, that kicking with throttle closed helps to bring the air in over the gas to saturate the combustion chamber with the mixture. But in the end, as has been pointed out before, you have to figure out the right combination of tickle counts and kicks to get to the sweet spot!
Kurt in S.A.

zimmermancamera

All noted.....It's just been a certain way for 25 years and now something is different,the above described method worked great for the longest time and now since the rebuild I need to learn a new starting procedure.
R69s
R26
R100m/s
Ducati 750 GT
Volvo 1800es