If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Hard starting r69s

FL54

Re: Hard starting r69s

Post by FL54 »

I’m having similar starting issues with a ‘48 Harley Panhead that was recently rebuilt. Previously, starting was very consistent hot or cold. After the rebuild, I seem to be wandering in the wilderness trying to come up with the right combination of choke and throttle positions, number of prime kicks etc. It’s getting better but it’s still inconsistent. Sometimes she lights on first kick, sometimes it’s a struggle. I’ve also got about 600 miles on the rebuild. I’m hoping the engine will loosen up with more miles on her but that’s a tall order in the Pacific Northwest in the winter.
Good luck.
Central Oregon

zimmermancamera

Post by zimmermancamera »

An update,
I had time to go through her yesterday and found some looseness in the wires on the switch in the headlight shell,tightened everything up and she seems back to her old easy starting self....hoping that that is it...raining cats and dogs here so hopefully a long test ride tomorrow.
Five or six hot starts yesterday on the first kick.
-Eric
R69s
R26
R100m/s
Ducati 750 GT
Volvo 1800es

rcarlsten

Post by rcarlsten »

I just bought a 1969 R600 US and I have the same starting problem. Wont start when kicked, runs good if bump start. There is gas, air, spark. Is this due to a weak Magneto, and a weak spark at starting. Am I correct that since the engine runs on a Mag and thus does not need a battery to run. Thanks

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

True it doesn't need a battery to run. If you have a weak spark, then maybe the magneto is not properly lined up or the coil could be an issue. It turns out that a magneto provides the lowest level of spark at kicking speed, but does better once the engine begins to run.

Is the coil the original coil? Is it kind of mushy when you press on the body of the coil? Could be that some of the internal wiring has broken down...the longer the continuous wiring in the coil, the stronger the spark, so if the wiring is breaking down internally, you won't get a strong spark.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

skyler.robbins

Post by skyler.robbins »

rcarlsten wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:17 pm
I just bought a 1969 R600 US and I have the same starting problem. Wont start when kicked, runs good if bump start. There is gas, air, spark. Is this due to a weak Magneto, and a weak spark at starting. Am I correct that since the engine runs on a Mag and thus does not need a battery to run. Thanks
What's your compression on each side?