If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

So where do you live and ride?

zimmermancamera

Re: So where do you live and ride?

Post by zimmermancamera »

Hey there,
I'm in Los Angeles and would be happy to host anyone traveling through on a /2 as soon as we are through this pandemic.
Many amazing roads between here and the bay area with year round riding.
-Eric
R69s
R26
R100m/s
Ducati 750 GT
Volvo 1800es

skyler.robbins

Post by skyler.robbins »

Portland Oregon here...
Mainly ride around The Gorge, Willamette Valley or Astoria area and here in Portland.
Have ridden a few times up in the Mt. Vernon Washington area.

Rob

PeeWee

Post by PeeWee »

I live in Holland, and will be riding hopefully in the coming year.
My bike is not totally finished yet, but almost.
C64914BF-255B-4B65-AAA8-A8C97FCA7BBB.jpeg

Beemer100

Post by Beemer100 »

I’m riding on both sides of the pond. In good ol’ upper Bavaria right between Munich and Salzburg where the alps start to build up but also in the hilly eastern townships of Montreal, Quebec during spring and fall. In Bavaria I mostly use my R75 sidecar rig and for solo either my R67 or my R69 ... the latter one for longer rides. In Quebec I got my R69S with Hollandia for the grand kids.
Same thing here, whenever you end up at one of these places, there’s always a good cold Bavarian Weissbeer waiting (I managed to get it even shipped to my place in Quebec. You kinda get the guy out of the country but not the country out of the guy)

Klaus

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

Hi Tommy-
We're in Cornwall/Litchfield; SW of Torrington/NW of Terryville.
Picture a triangle with about 15 miles on each leg, we're equidistant from both.
Made it to the Terryville meet last year, maybe we met!
Was sort of up in your area this summer, putting an English v-twin together with Pete Telaback at his shop in Becket, most every day for a month or so; you've got some nice roads in the neighborhood, good choices of both dirt and paved.
Also been kinda in your area doing a couple of the USCRA's Moto Giros over the past few years, as well as several of Nova's one day giro events out of Turners Falls.
Look forward to really meeting sometime, maybe the bizarreness will calm down enough for Terryville to happen this coming year.

Mal, see what you got going here?
I'm feeling almost human again...
Here's hoping 2021 is a better all around for everybody.
Best-
George

mcsherry1328

Post by mcsherry1328 »

Hello Everyone, Happy New Year to all. I live in Waunakee Wisconsin,USA. That is just outside Madison. It's the dead of winter here so no riding until April at the earliest. My favorite bike to ride is my 1952 R67/2. I bought it non running but very complete forty years ago. Just finished the restoration myself two years ago. I did all the work except sheet metal painting & pin striping. I have put over 2500 miles on since completion. I wanted an R68 but couldn't find one. I have built an R68 replica. I have the chrome lift handle but removed it in place of the rear rack. I still have all the original pieces. I added the full width hubs as well. The bike has 12 volt alternator and several other upgrades.
In looking at this picture I realize it was when I just finished the bike. I have since installed the stock fuel tank, which looks very nice.
Attachments
DSC04884 2.jpg

miller6997

Post by miller6997 »

I live in Altadena, California, near Pasadena at the base of the San Gabriel Mountain range. I’m just a few minutes away from Angeles Crest Highway (picture 1), one of the better motorcycle roads in the Southwest, and, starting in the late sixties, I have spent a fair amount of time up there, alone and with friends. A ride to the eastern end of the road at Wrightwood and back is about 140 miles, and in the middle of the week the road is practically deserted. Very addictive. On the weekends it’s overrun with squids and I generally avoid it. I also make occasional semi-local rides to Ojai Valley, Santa Barbara, and various points in the Mojave Desert.

My brother and I bought R69Ss a few months apart in 1967. In the second picture below you’ll see mine as it looked in 1969. Over ten years, I rode that bike 103,000 trouble-free miles and sold it in 1977 for $700 (about half what it cost new). My brother rode his S until the early eighties, when his work took him away and he stored it with 52K on the odometer. It sat idle for 15 years until I conned him out of it in 1998. In the third picture you’ll see it as it looks today, now showing 90,000 miles. Sadly, I haven’t taken it out since last March.

I have ridden one or the other of those two bikes (in various states of dress and undress) all over California, Oregon, Washington, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, and Arizona. The remaining pictures provide some documentation. I’ve ridden to Death Valley probably ten times (pictures 4 and 5); it’s a little over a half-day ride for me and I never get enough of it. Highway 1 through Big Sur (picture 6) is another favorite. I’ve also been to Kings Canyon, Sequoia, Zion, Cedar Breaks, Bryce Canyon, Arches, Capitol Reef, Monument Valley, and Grand Canyon. Also Barstow, but we needn’t discuss that.

The /2s have shared garage space from time to time with a ‘77 R75/7, an ‘83 R100RT, a K100RT, a K1100LT, an R1200RT, and (at present) an F800GT. I just turned 80 and the F800GT will soon have to find a new home. The R69S stays with me until I’m done with it.
.....Parked on Angeles Crest
.....Parked on Angeles Crest
.....First R69S in 1973
.....First R69S in 1973
.....Second R69S in 2020
.....Second R69S in 2020
.....Death Valley 1973
.....Death Valley 1973
.....Death Valley 2008
.....Death Valley 2008
.....Above Big Sur
.....Above Big Sur
.....Maricopa Highway
.....Maricopa Highway
Jon Miller
'67 R69S
'13 F800GT
Altadena, California

malmac

Post by malmac »

Flx48 wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:29 pm
Hi Tommy-
We're in Cornwall/Litchfield; SW of Torrington/NW of Terryville.
Picture a triangle with about 15 miles on each leg, we're equidistant from both.
Made it to the Terryville meet last year, maybe we met!
Was sort of up in your area this summer, putting an English v-twin together with Pete Telaback at his shop in Becket, most every day for a month or so; you've got some nice roads in the neighborhood, good choices of both dirt and paved.
Also been kinda in your area doing a couple of the USCRA's Moto Giros over the past few years, as well as several of Nova's one day giro events out of Turners Falls.
Look forward to really meeting sometime, maybe the bizarreness will calm down enough for Terryville to happen this coming year.

Mal, see what you got going here?
I'm feeling almost human again...
Here's hoping 2021 is a better all around for everybody.
Best-

Hi George

I am really please there is a thread which is acting like a introduction page or find a friend a ride friend if you will.
Enjoying the posts as they roll in.

Best wishes everyone
for 20 twenty-one.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

mcsherry1328 wrote:
Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:35 am
Hello Everyone, Happy New Year to all. I live in Waunakee Wisconsin,USA. That is just outside Madison. It's the dead of winter here so no riding until April at the earliest. My favorite bike to ride is my 1952 R67/2. I bought it non running but very complete forty years ago. Just finished the restoration myself two years ago. I did all the work except sheet metal painting & pin striping. I have put over 2500 miles on since completion. I wanted an R68 but couldn't find one. I have built an R68 replica. I have the chrome lift handle but removed it in place of the rear rack. I still have all the original pieces. I added the full width hubs as well. The bike has 12 volt alternator and several other upgrades.
In looking at this picture I realize it was when I just finished the bike. I have since installed the stock fuel tank, which looks very nice.
Well Mr McSherry

38 years for a full restoration...... I have still got time then.

Your machine looks terrific and I suppose you pretty much know every nut and bolt on a first name basis.

Mal
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

mcsherry1328

Post by mcsherry1328 »

Mal, Like many things in life sometimes things get put aside by work, marriage, children, divorce and mortgage payments. OK, I've been through all that and that is what took 38 years. I started the restorations about three years ago. I have a better picture with the original tank. I also included a picture of my R69S sidecar rig which I've owned for 45 years. The rig was bought in pieces and built by me. I have a Google drive of the restoration of both bikes & sidecar if interested let me know.
Attachments
IMG_1990.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg