If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

So where do you live and ride?

matthew.miles

Re: So where do you live and ride?

Post by matthew.miles »

Thanks very much for the info Kurt. This definitely got me reading more of the history of this model. I have a new appreciation for them thats for sure.

I re read my original post my reply to this thread needs a little more work. " there are some good places to ride" is a very broad answer...

As stated im living in Townsville, this is in northern Queensland, Australia. To the south & north of us we have cane fields with some nice roads to ride down & explore the country side. Places like Giru. To the west we have Charters Towers thats a nice ride aswell great scenery to look at. North of us we have waterfalls to visit largest being Wallaman again through cane fields then up into the tropical rainforest to the falls.
The next larger city from us is Cairns. About 4 hrs away. This is where you can ride the atherton tablelands (reminds me alot of the uk countryside) rolling greenfields. You have all the tropical rainforest mountain roads leading to places like kuranda. All these roads are really nice rather twisty whats always a bonus! This is only a few of the places you can ride/visit.

Regards Matt
79 R100T engine no 6051875
83 R100RS engine no
60 R60/2 engine no 622352

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Sounds ideal, Matt! I've been to New Zealand...might just have to add Australia to the bucket list!!
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

tboooe

Post by tboooe »

Old thread but here goes....I live in South Orange County in California. I mainly ride one of my Ducatis but plan to put more miles on my 1967 R69S. It is becoming the most comfortable bike I own as I get older. Not too many good roads in Orange County so I will typically go to LA or San Diego for nice roads. Once I retire I plan to do longer multi-day rides and hopefully just wander across the United States.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tommy
1967 R69s + a bunch of Ducatis

808Airhead

Post by 808Airhead »

Greetings from the Aloha state! There are a handful of vintage BMW riders here...beautiful weather to ride year round, even if it is only in circles!! :D :D The views are always incredible, even if they are the same ones...
Attachments
IMG_5522.JPG
IMG_4436.JPG
IMG_4432.JPG
Thomas M.
R69S - R60/2 - R67/2 - R51/3 - R69

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Mal;

Not to be picky but it was Arlo Guthrie (Woody Guthrie's son) not the Beach Boys who sang Alice's Restaurant.

I ride the rural Pennsylvania back roads east of Pittsburgh near the town of Apollo. Not much traffic but you will encounter a deer once in a while. I cracked 6 ribs, separated a shoulder, and tore the rotator cuff, in 2019 just avoiding one. I was back up riding in 6 weeks.

Craig

r67boxer

Post by r67boxer »

Hello all. I'm relatively new to the group and this is certainly a great way to get better acquainted with everyone. My wife and I are in the process of moving to Pender Island, British Columbia from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Pender would allow me to ride for at least 8 or 9 months of the year, if not more. Current rides are R50/5, R75/5 and an R26. My R69S is currently in pieces but coming along.

As a side note, I visited Toowoomba in 1988. The company I was working for in western Canada had a sister company called Pacific Seeds which was headquartered in your city. I was told that your city used to be called Woomba Woomba but they shortened it to Toowoomba ..... a prank I am sure many newcomers are treated to. Great part of the world.

Kevin
Attachments
58R26.jpg

malmac

Post by malmac »

cbclemmens wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:51 pm
Mal;

Not to be picky but it was Arlo Guthrie (Woody Guthrie's son) not the Beach Boys who sang Alice's Restaurant.

I ride the rural Pennsylvania back roads east of Pittsburgh near the town of Apollo. Not much traffic but you will encounter a deer once in a while. I cracked 6 ribs, separated a shoulder, and tore the rotator cuff, in 2019 just avoiding one. I was back up riding in 6 weeks.

Craig
Did I say Beach Boys??? Wow I'm loosing it big time. Thank you for making the correction.

Mal
r67boxer@gmail.com wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:13 am
Hello all. I'm relatively new to the group and this is certainly a great way to get better acquainted with everyone. My wife and I are in the process of moving to Pender Island, British Columbia from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Pender would allow me to ride for at least 8 or 9 months of the year, if not more. Current rides are R50/5, R75/5 and an R26. My R69S is currently in pieces but coming along.

As a side note, I visited Toowoomba in 1988. The company I was working for in western Canada had a sister company called Pacific Seeds which was headquartered in your city. I was told that your city used to be called Woomba Woomba but they shortened it to Toowoomba ..... a prank I am sure many newcomers are treated to. Great part of the world.

Kevin
Kevin

I live just 10 minutes walk from Pacific Seeds in Toowoomba.
I started this thread because I was interested to see which members were close to each other, in terms of country and State.
If people say on their signature (Fred; Douglas Wyoming) then another member has some idea that they are close by and they might agree to catch up.

I see that one of the members comes from Townsville in Queensland. Well I get up that way sometimes, so I would next time send him a PM and see if we could catch up.

Just a recap on why I started the thread.

Cheers and lets see if we can make some links.

Mal
Toowoomba, Australia - if you are passing please call I will roll out the red carpet.
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

malmac

Post by malmac »

cbclemmens wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:51 pm
Mal;

Craig
I apologize.

Looking repentant....

Mal
Arlo1.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

therealkennyboy

Post by therealkennyboy »

Phoenix, Arizona metropolitan area (I am in Scottsdale). We are just getting back to riding weather (the triple digit temps are gone).

This is at one of the local mountain lakes.
Bartlett22May3.JPG
Ken
(Click on the pic to get it right side up!)
Ken Walker
Scottsdale, AZ, USA
1960 R60 (currently), 1974 R75/6 (past), 1981 R100CS (currently), 1984 R100RS (past), 1989 K100RS (past)

cbclemmens

Post by cbclemmens »

Mal;
As they say in your country "No worries Mate". I actually saw Arlo Guthrie preform both Alice's Restaurant and the motorcycle song in Denver in 1969. That was my senior year at the School of Mines. As close as I got to Australia would have been either Sorong or Biak in Irian Barat Indonesia back when I worked for Pacific Nikkel.

Now I am retired and riding in western Pennsylvania - as I mentioned- God has his paint brush out right now. See below

Craig
Attachments
IMG_4357.JPG
IMG_4355.JPG
IMG_4349.JPG
IMG_4348.JPG
IMG_4347.JPG
IMG_4346.JPG
IMG_4345.JPG
IMG_4332.JPG