If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

So where do you live and ride?

Micha

Re: So where do you live and ride?

Post by Micha »

Hi discododfather,
Indeed, all seasons are good for riding, except for rainy days, and rain knows how to fall here well ...
In summer, of course, it is more difficult to ride because I take care of wearing full protection, but it is tolerable in the morning and evening. I also got out to ride at noon in August: not great fun but but its ok and I'm still alive.
Regarding lots of checkpoints - well I don't really understand your intent, we do not have any in the country, unless you intend to move to areas defined by the UN as "occupied territories", where there is a passage supervised by the army, but I am already over 50 years old And I have never ridden in these areas.There are enough others, good and beautiful.
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

Micha

Post by Micha »

dardaris2725 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:07 pm
Hello Micha,
I thought that might be you posting on the WD M20 forum. I too have a military M20, but it is not running yet. My main interest is the BMW's. Both forums are great resources; my M20 was purchased in boxes and the folks there have been great explaining things. I live in Central New York. Have a safe and happy holiday.
Yes, I assume its me.
Thank you!
Have a happy & healthy new year!
Michael Steinmann
R51/3 1952
Engine Nr. 529466

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

malmac wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:33 pm
So if you haven't filled in your location details on your profile page, give it some thought.
Maybe it is just something that did not seem important.
Mal, as usual, that is a great idea! I just edited my profile to include my location. I also added it to my signature.

I live in the heart of Suburban New York on Long Island. It is interesting to note that there are many BMW enthusiasts who live nearby and it is always interesting to find people who share the passion.

I live on the North Shore and we have some beautiful roads with very few stop lights. It does get very cold and snowy on the North shore of Long Island and I am looking outside now at a good amount of snow. I am seriously considering taking my R51/3 out for a ride today because it will be a balmy 40F (4.5C) and the sand on the roads is not too thick from the last snow. The Heidenau tires on the R51/3 are quite good in the thin layer of sand after a snow.

I try to do 3 or 4 long distance rides (far out of NY) a year and I use my R1200GS for those. If I am not on a long distance ride I am almost always on my R51/3 and sometimes take my R69S out.

If you find yourself braving the New York traffic on Long Island let me know!!!
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

RolfV2

Post by RolfV2 »

I would be happy if I could do so many long distance rides

George Tinkham

Post by George Tinkham »

I live in Springfield, Illinois: Abraham Lincoln's "Hometown." If you are in the area and need a tour guide, let me know. I ride wherever my motorcycles take me. I have farmland here in Central Illinois; so, that always provides a good excuse to spend time in the country. As president of Vintage Iron Riders (www.virmc.com), there are plenty of events in which to participate and members to visit. Also, A.B.A.T.E. of Illinois (motorcyclists' rights group) tends to keep me busy. Right now, we are getting my 1964 R69S to run like new whilst maintaining its "patina."
George Tinkham
1964 R69S

wa1nca

Post by wa1nca »

Flx48 wrote:
Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:39 pm
That Alice's Restaurant is over on this side of the country, in Stockbridge, MA; (though has a different name now) and Guthrie still lives nearby.
That's 40mi north of us, we're in the NW corner of CT, 100mi north of NYC.
I'm not a coffee drinker, but I'll boil you a mean cuppa.

Best-
George
I grew up in Lenox Ma next town north of Stockbrige Ma and after USAF and traveling many years as a field service electronic tech ended up in my present location in Ashfield Ma about 40 miles north of Stockbridge Ma
So George I guess we are less than 80 miles apart
You must live near Torrington Ct
We have a AMCA meet near you in Terryville Ct. (cancled this year because of covid)
Will post next year date when confirmed and looking forward to meet you and anybody else
Members fron all of New England, Ny, Nj and Pa also join
Happy Holidays and wish the best for the New Year
Tommy
Attachments
DSC05183.JPG
IMG_4049.JPG
DSC05045.JPG
Tommy Byrnes
54 R51/3, 55 R50/Velorex 560 sidecar, 64 R27, 68 R69US, 75 R75/6
Ashfield, Ma
USA

oldnslo

Post by oldnslo »

I live and ride in the SF Bay Area, a small town (Mill Valley) just over the Golden Gate Bridge from SF-I actually live right on California Route 1, and so mainly ride in west Marin and Sonoma Counties, on or near the coast. Very pretty area with a temperate climate, good for year round riding. This is to the north of where discogodfather rides(see his earlier post).I usually ride with old friends, including my old college roommate (riding since 1967), and a friend from med school(riding since 1969); both live nearby.We'll usually go anywhere from 75-150 miles for nice day trips so long as the weather cooperates. I'll ride my '68 R50US, or in cooler weather my '92 R100RS, otherwise my '67 Triumph TR6R, my 2000 Kawi W650(a nice blend of vintage and modern), or my Honda CB750. I'm on the left in the photo.
sonoma coast.JPG
Adam

malmac

Post by malmac »

I for one am enjoying hearing about where our members ride. Keep the stories coming.

Unfortunately the R69s is in the workshop but I do still ride our R1200 GSA

Thank you one and all for posting.

Mal

Queensland
Australia.
2L2A0775 1.jpg
mal - R69s
Toowoomba- Australia

Kurt V

Post by Kurt V »

Lincoln Nebraska here. Lots of straight roads! Although I can head over into Iowa or Missouri if I want to hit some curves and hills. I try to get the motorcycle out at least once a month in the winter!
8D5227CC-118B-45C3-AE8C-0073DE4E221F.jpeg
Kurt V
R60/2, R65 LS
1973 Norton 850, 1973 RD 350

oldnslo

Post by oldnslo »

Ah, Lincoln Nebraska, not great memories for me! In the summer of 1972 I rode my 1968 R50US from Boston to San Francisco, toured around California, then headed back East really pushing the bike as I only had a few days before school started.This is the bike:
'68R50US.jpg
I had bought it new at Amol Precision in Dumont NJ in 1968, a well known East Coast dealer. Unfortunately it dropped a valve on I-80 outside of Lincoln,and since I had only 3 days to make it back to Boston for the start of the fall term(and next to no money), I sold it to a local bike shop and used the money for a flight back. Bad end to what was otherwise a great trip. Subsequently I bought my current '68 R50US as a basket case in 1990 here in SF, restored it crankshaft up, and have been riding it ever since-but not cross country. I don't think I would ride cross country nowadays with a 26 hp bike, even if it did have that excellent Avon fairing, which speaks to how the average speed of traffic on the Interstates has increased over 50 years-at least here in the SF Bay Area.

Adam.