If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Adding oversized slides to the bing carbs?

goaarongo

Adding oversized slides to the bing carbs?

Post by goaarongo »

So, my carbs are not great, and the slides were stuck when I began disassembly. I sourced a set of oversize slides, thinking I could just have the carb bodies cut by a machinist to renew them. The guy I have been working with is unable to cut them though, for fear of his tooling interfering with the needle jet. This conclusion has been a long time coming.

So my questions to the community are:
Has anyone else ever done this?
Does anyone know a shop that's capable?
Thoughts or alternatives?

Professional measuring concludes the carb bodies are out of round, but the larger slide would correct it. The slide I have is here: https://bmwclassicmotorcycles.com/index ... 3110039116

I now see the cutting head for sale as well - which I don't believe was there when I originally ordered these. Id hate to have to buy that just to get this done, but its the only option I see at the moment unless you guys have other thoughts or can refer someone... Would love to hear ideas.

312Icarus

Re: Adding oversized slides to the bing carbs?

Post by 312Icarus »

With enough time and effort and solvent and a bit of fine abrasive in the hole, one ought to be able to make the bodies serviceable again. The needles are stainless iirc so they should clean up pretty easily. Polishing the bore with some #000 per #0000 steel wool, and then possibly using a small honing stone to cross hatch the bore and they should be fine. Boring the carb bodies and getting it wrong would turn an expensive carb body into scalp pretty quickly.

Some one with better expertise than I can opine, but I wouldn’t see a problem if the bore were polished and the net result was that it was a couple hundred thousands too big. The slide simply lets air in though the throat of the carb, so a tiny bit running “around” the slide bore when lowered would simply be a tuning issue IMHO but I certainly could be wrong.

My Bings were terrible, but I have been able to nurse them back and continue to ride with out much trouble. Only issue is a stripped idle jet plug that I had to butcher a new plug into. Not elegant, but it works and it was cheap.

Icarus

PS You can also send them to Bing and have them rebuild them or at least evaluate them...not cheap but sure fire.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

There used to be a guy that would ream a body out and insert a brass sleeve...I think he went out of business. Chessel? Bessel? Something like that. Why not call Bing and see what they could offer.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

goaarongo

Post by goaarongo »

Thanks for the responses. schrader - I did call BING after your suggestion and they don't do the throttle body boring. But they have all the parts I need to do a standard rebuild.
Icarus - you make a good point about questioning how precise this actually needs to be. I may just get new slides and fit them to see if I can get a good idle.

If anyone does figure out a way to fit them - I have a set over oversized slides on hand. Salis will cut them for me if I mail them there, but I don't think I want to go to that extreme.

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

Not that it helps, but I tracked the name down...Bruce Chessel at Triton Machining...as I said, no longer in business. You might check with Vech to see if he has any ideas.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.