If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

Uli's Motorrad New Production Cylinder Head Review

Discogodfather

Uli's Motorrad New Production Cylinder Head Review

Post by Discogodfather »

Recently I was dealing with some head problems on my 69 R60/2, the usual stuff. One steel spark plug insert had been walking out for years and about 8 years ago I put in one of those steel threaded inserts. It was fine, but I slowly saw the other side stock steel sleeve start to back out over the last 2 years.

I contemplated heliarcing both or just putting the threaded insert on the other side to even them out, but I got a little tired of the constant issues and knew I would need to do another valve seat regrind if I TIG'd the holes up and tapped them. I really hate these butterheads, I always wondered why my bike didn't get the LK heads. Maybe they were replaced long ago before I got her.

I have been using a few repro pieces from Uli's Motorrad in Frankfurt for many years. Valve covers and a deep oil pan. The quality of the aluminum always seemed excellent to me. I can tell from just pushing a nail into practically any point on the metal that it is much harder than the original. The machining seems impeccable to me, tolerances are very tight.

So I decided to bite the bullet and get a set of repro heads. These are available from Bobs for only $550, but they only had one in stock and had to special order the other side. I didn't want to wait (with the lockdowns in Germany my cousins there are telling me its slowing everything down) so I ordered from vintagebmwparts (spike buck on ebay) for $1500 for a set shipped. Pricey, but it came to me in 2 days. 1 year warranty (I know, not much to tell in 1 year).

I called Uli's and spoke to Uli in Frankfurt, very nice guy. I wanted to know where these were made, he would not say. I kept asking "are these made in Germany?" and he kept saying "These are made for Uli's Mottorad exclusively". I asked if they were made in Europe and where and he would not say.

The quality on the heads is up to par with other things I have seen from Uli's. Tight machining, seems like damn good metal. No porosity in the aluminum anywhere I can see, even in webbings and around edges. The valves seem more like stock valves than any of the aftermarket "black" valves I have seen that sell for so much money. Can't tell much about the springs or the guides, they look good. Seats are ground without any apparent flaws, I regrind my own seats so I can tell this is professionally done and isn't some kind of hacked hand lapping.

They head design itself is kind of interesting. It's definitely not patterned off the LK design. The fins aren't as thick as a butterhead but they are not as thin as an LK. Also, the bottom of the cylinder is not "tubed" and is filled in, like the butterheads. It uses a short reach plug, and of course the threads are tapped directly into the aluminum (no insert at all, like the LK's). So I am liking this- a always thought the LK's were a little too thin and had broken fin potential. Seems like a good mix of designs.

Exhaust threads are nice and stout, no hard edges. Studs are all new with zinc plating, came with the valve cover stud as well. No markings or clues anywhere these are made, but I suspect either Germany, Czech Republic, or Poland if its Europe. I doubt these are South Korean, just a feeling though. I have had some experience with South Korean Harley head copies and they just don't stack up to this tolerance.

I used my special vacuum tester to test the seats. My standard is to apply vacuum to the combustion chamber side, with only the valve spring pressure holding the valves closed. I just think this method will scrutinize any setup considering it's not pulling the valve closed but pulling it open. I read 26 inches on one and 27.5 on the other, all good and within my spec for this. The old heads I have, which were reground and hand lapped by me, pull around the same.

Popped everything on and then ran a cold compression test. I reused my Nural pistons because they were solidly in spec, just deglazed and new rings. 120 psi on both cylinders. Pillow blocks went right in without any shimming or adjustment, all good. Torqued then and waited 24 hours and torques again, they didn't budge at all.

So, so far so good. I'll be putting around with these and seeing what's up. Hopefully I can get some serious mileage on them to tell if things are good. So far impressed.

1969 r60/2, 1972 r75/5, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Ducati 750 GT, 1966 Honda 450 Black Bomber, 1965 Honda Superhawk, 1971 Honda CB 750

San Francisco, CA

Discogodfather

Re: Uli's Motorrad New Production Cylinder Head Review

Post by Discogodfather »

Compression looks and feels great, this is cold!

1969 r60/2, 1972 r75/5, 1973 Norton Commando, 1974 Ducati 750 GT, 1966 Honda 450 Black Bomber, 1965 Honda Superhawk, 1971 Honda CB 750

San Francisco, CA

jwonder

Post by jwonder »

Wow, great writeup and thank you VERY MUCH for letting us know how they look. Please let us know as you use them how they are holding up, its a great service to the community!

I also dig the cat (I mean your helper) who was saying your ring end-gap was 0.000001 off. You know cats know those things!!

Thanks again for the wonderful writeup and pictures!!
James Wonder
Vice President, Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owners
2022 BMW Friend Of the Marque
Long Island, New York

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

Uh oh, problems. Ran her for the first time today and things seemed fine but some valve train noise coming out of left hand cylinder. Took the valve cover off and readjusted the valve, looked like it had too much play on exhaust valve.

Ran down the block on a first run and she died after some noise. Pushed her a 1/4 mile back to the garage and took off the cover again and surprise, the exhaust valve is completely stuck open. Looks like a bad clearance between valve and guide. Tried tapping the valve stem a bit to see if it would free up, no luck. The springs don't seem bound but I won't know until I take the head off.

Frustrating, but that's why there is a 1 year warranty hopefully. Will keep everyone informed how it goes. Hopefully the valve didn't get bent or worse, there is damage to the top of the piston.

San Francisco, CA

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

Good news is the top of the piston just has a very faint scratch, nothing to bother about. Bad news is it looks like the valves contacted a tiny bit.

Any time anything frustrating happens I try and look on the bright side: it's a learning experience about the geometry of the r60/2 head design. It's not much of an interference engine, which is a good thing. The valve was stuck over halfway open and it really didn't tear anything about. Not too sure about fully compressed though, that might start blowing things up.

I have actually never seen or heard of a stuck valve in my experience of 25 years wrenching and restoring and building things. It's pretty rare, especially on a brand new head.

San Francisco, CA

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

Talked to Mike today, he offered me a new head or to send it back. Nothing was on the shelf, so I opted to send the head back and he will have his machinist take a look at it. As long as the valves are still true and the problem really is just a guide that was not reamed to a proper clearance, this should be a quick fix. I felt like doing it myself but then a voice in my head said "didn't you just buy these brand new?". Didn't want to buy it plus do all the work, which is half the reason I bought these in the first place.

I thought about how a head sitting for a long time that didn't have much assembly lube on there might seize, but it would be odd that it didn't seize right away and would wait until after an oil bath to stick. All I can really think of is the guide is just too tight. Spring binding would cause some issues but the valve would still close, and I did move the springs around a bit with the head of a screwdriver and they seemed to be floating around correctly.

Probably be a week until the serviced head come back, so stay tuned.

San Francisco, CA

R60 Sweden

Post by R60 Sweden »

Really interesting to follow...
BMW R60/2 1968 x 2
BMW R60 1959

Discogodfather

Post by Discogodfather »

Got the head back today after a long odyssey. Apparently it was lost by the USPS in Connecticut a distribution center for 2 weeks. A machine shop went through it and reemed the exhaust guide, but claimed it removed little to no material. Only other option was lack of oil or overheating, both of which I find highly unlikely as the bike ran for less than 20 minutes on a cold 50 F day and it had tons of oil in the rocker covers when I opened it back up.

Who knows, but the head is back and ready to get put on the bike for another round. Everything looks great and it was cleaned up at no charge.

Interesting to note that Mike told me on the phone that he read the warranty again and it does NOT cover valve issues or the machine work to the valves and anything to do with the springs, retainers, etc. He said the warranty covers cracking of the valve seats and any cracks to the spark plug hole. That's it. He covered the cost of the work and the return postage to me none the less.

I'll see if I can try and fit this up and get going as soon as possible and keep the story going......

San Francisco, CA

312Icarus

Post by 312Icarus »

Did you pre oil the rockers, and run the engine for a bit with the valve covers off for a few to make sure the oil was flowing. A trick that was taught to me a while ago. A bit massy, but it is reassuring to see the oil right out of the gate. Also not a bad idea to spin the engine over a bunch sans fuel and plugs to get some oil throughly through a newly assembled engine.

Icarus

flyingtpot

Post by flyingtpot »

Uli is an extremely pleasant person and an excellent contributor to the the vintage part supplier group. When at his facility years ago, one item we discussed was reproducing pre-70 cylinder heads. My vote was for reproducing the LK heads with the revised stanchion design and 3/4" reach plugs for the R51/R67/R50/R60 heads.

Though these machines are now used to go to Starbucks once a month and not cross-country, the 1/2" reach threads in aluminum would have been highly problematic back in the day.

Honing the guide 'straight' is the process to use versus reaming a hole that is already to 'size' for clearance with the valve stem. Was the valve face to valve seat concentricity examined?

Ensure the valve was checked for valve face concentricity and the stem is/was not bent. Like with one of these: https://goodson.com/collections/valve-r ... city-gauge Sticking valve stem issues have been around for many decades.... One cause....carbon. I'm curious what valves are used in these heads. Elco? Swiss InterValves? Neither of those two brands?

The valve seats do not crack. The cylinder head seat counter bores are what have, or can have, radial cracks.

My recommendation is to use a new head gasket.

What is 'tons of oil in the rocker covers'? Sufficient oil does not equate to not overheating. There are items like timing and fuel delivery (as in lack of or too much) that can wreak havoc on the head, especially on the exhaust side.

To a certain extent, the head is equal to all other parts to the cylinder head assembly. Thus, the warranty should be for the assembly and not just the casting.

Thinking positive for you so the story has you back up and running, putting miles on that machine.