If you like our site, please consider joining our club!
By joining you will help ensure that we can continue to provide this service
JOIN HERE!

New Synthetic Carburetor Floats

trumbore6938

New Synthetic Carburetor Floats

Post by trumbore6938 »

I have a leaking brass carburetor float and have heard at least one good report on the new style synthetic float for the slash /2/3 series machines that Vech at Bench Mark Works offers . Does anyone else have some feedback that they share with us. Thank you.

schrader7032

Re: New Synthetic Carburetor Floats

Post by schrader7032 »

Yes, I'm running the plastic floats in my single and the R69S. Version 1.0 of the floats leaked and/or changed shape (ie, swelled), so I got a free replacement to Version 2.0. The floats look the same...I believe the R25/2 float has a small weight inside to bring it up the weight needed for proper flotation. I don't think they're "forever" floats...the brass wasn't, even the foam floats for the /5-on bikes need replacement over time. But I wouldn't buy brass floats at this point.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

maddrobh

Post by maddrobh »

I bought some new pattern brass floats from a guy in the UK as the OEM floats in my R69S had been excessively soldered. The new floats are nicely made but on an uncalibrated kitchen scale one measured 7g and the other 7-8g; really need to weigh on a chemical balance.
I have old style carb tops and did not replace the float needles. Bike is running very well but I do now have slight fuel leak from the float tops, possibly due to crap pattern gaskets.
The floats cost less than plastic ones from Salis would cost me.

Flx48

Post by Flx48 »

I sourced 4 plastic carb floats from Vech/Richard 2-3 years ago for my two R69 bikes.
The first pair were installed soon after receiving them, and the second pair were installed last year.
one of which failed after approximately 7 months.
If your carb leaks excessively, or you're chasing your tail tuning, inspect the floats- remove from carb and inspect by shaking them, you will see gas splashing around inside through the translucent top.

So that's my datum; three out of four of the plastic floats from Vech's lastest plastic version floats proved sound.
I would still use them over the current crop of brass floats, said to be done with sloppy workmanship and varying in weight.

Also, because Vech/Richard guarantee these floats for one year from purchase, I would suggest buying them only right before use, rather than having them in stock only to learn of a problem long after guarantee expires.

Best-
George

chrishea

Post by chrishea »

I’ve had good luck with the plastic floats. I got them in 2014 after my brass floats cracked. I drain my carbs if I know the bike is going to sit for more than two weeks, so from April to September for the past 6 years they have been wet, in the winter I only take the bike out two or three times, and drain the carbs after those rides. I pulled them out of my bike to loan to another /2 rider who had his brass floats fail while he was out and about - (delivered to where he ended up on an R100).

I recommend them.

Chris
66 R60
Chris
Seattle

Twocams

Post by Twocams »

I choose brass over plastic every time. I bought the brass 6 yrs ago...& they still work. I just drained the gas yesterday in carbs & tank. Im a fair weather rider besides I have 3 other bikes to ride, in winter. :o
Twocams
92 R100RT/69 R69S
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 500cc single cylinder Scooter
83 Honda V65 Magna, fastest production bike in1983
2015 Can Am Spider SE6 1,688 miles
2018 Moto Guzzi V711 Special

schrader7032

Post by schrader7032 »

At least the brass still seems to be available. Vech has them but they're twice as expensive at the plastic ones.
Kurt in S.A.
'78 R100/7 '69 R69S '52 R25/2
Fast. Neat. Average. Friendly. Good. Good.

trumbore6938

Post by trumbore6938 »

Thanks for all your responses, I've decided to go with Vech's synthetic floats and give them a try, even though the responses have been somewhat mixed, most had good luck and I will certainly put them into service immediately as recommended, since they come with a one year warranty. If one should fail I would think it would happen within the first year...hopefully. Vech did encourage me not to use ethanol enhanced fuel, but that's not always easy to do when traveling on the road. I got two pair, so I should have some results to report on soon.

Daves79x

Post by Daves79x »

FWIW, I've run the plastic floats in my R50 for 2000 miles without problems. BTW Todd - fantastic article about Percival museum in the latest magazine!

Dave
Dave